Quote:

The wire is in and it helped a little but now it pops out of the carb when I roll into the throttle. Doesnt skip a beet when I mash it. still likes the mixture screws no more than 1 turn out. Idles in gear between 3-5 vacuum, out of gear at 11 and cruise speeds at 15.

If I give it a accell pump shot while idling out of gear it bogs and dies. So it must still be way rich.

Something is fishy about that!

What size is your existing IFR and what size wire did you put in it?

Since you got a Holley book and read it recently you probably already know this, but just in case you somehow missed it: IFRs can be located in two different places in Holley metering blocks. The one I posted a pic of is the location where you'd find it in older Holley carbs. Some newer ones (and most clones) have the IFR mounted higher and farther outboard. Is it possible you choked the wrong passage? Just a thought.

If you block the IFR with wire that effectively reduces the IFR by, say, 10% you should see positive results on the mixture screws, assuming the problem is IFRs that are too big.

If you can tell me what size IFR you've got now, I can probably get you in the ballpark. I'd need to know the size of the Idle Air Bleed, too. That's probably what we should have done before you tried the wire. Hindsight, 20/20, etc.

Jim