Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

13* initial with a xe284 isn't going to cut it. Add at least 5* and limit mechanical to get your total.

My guess, it's loading up because the throttle plates are open too far at idle.

Got more than one 360 with a xe268H running 750dp's with no problems. One gets 20mpg on the highway with 2.76-2.9x gears

Throttle plates are not open to far at idle. Primarys have 1/8" breathers

You've got lots of good advice above, but I'm concerned with your response here. If you know how to check the relationship between the throttle plates and the transition slot at idle, that's fine. If you don't, I'll be more than happy to post a picture that illustrates it.

More than likely, after you follow the advice above and get the timing worked out, you'll be close.

As stated above, the idle and transition circuits can be leaned out if that's what it takes.

Minivan and Rapid Robert:

Regarding the overcarbing discussion, yes the factory put...what?...625 CFM carbs on 440HPs, and those factory engineers were no slouches.

OTOH, I was walking around the pits at Watkins Glen in the late 80's and came across a Firebird with a Buick V6 running a Dominator! The crew chief was in a talkative mood, so I obliged him with questions, the first being "Wassup with a Dommy on 250 cubic inch engine"? He said the Dominator worked out better for them, not because of quantity, but because it provided better quality (presumably better distribution...I don't know). If you followed the formulas, that V6 would have to turn stratospheric RPM - even assuming 100% VE, to work out to 1050 CFM.

Anyway, I never forgot that and think about it ocasionally.

We now return you to the rich 750 DP!

Jim

Both primary and secondary trans slots look like little squares (not rectangles).
The primary plates have been drilled 1/8"