MikeE, to me it just sounds like the float level is set just a little too high. The fuel difference between the low or lower than the site hole and the restart level is what is surging into the engine and stalling it. IMO.

If you did deliberately set the float level to the "just trickling out the site hole" and that’s where it is when you start the engine then I would think the floats are okay. We’ve had floats that have developed a leak (hollow floats) and they become less buoyant and during hard deceleration or a bump coming into a corner will open the float valve and let it a surge of fuel that stalls the engine. Do the floats have the weight on them so you can weigh them to see if they are okay?

If the floats are bad or the float valve is bad then they would not shut the fuel off and when you started the engine and the fuel pressure increased the fact that it didn’t come gushing out the site hole tell me they are okay. I still think the symptoms indicate too high of a float level setting. Does hard forward braking surge the fuel toward the venturies or a path toward the intake manifold? Is there a baffle system to stop this surge or does it rely on the float level setting? Just throwing things out there...

MikeR