Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Originally Posted by terzmo
No A/C...175 down the road or less....even with 180 stat....will go past 205 if I let it at idle in traffic after a while but I don't let it get over 200 at any time.

Om a side note I have been replied to with.."200 is low..I run mine at 230 all day" Now that are new engine stats..not old iron. My new vehicles do run at 220 but this is not the same system as 1967.

In my opinion that is not hot.

mine as well. most of our old rides came with a 185 or more commonly, a 195 degree thermostat. and as has been said, that is the minimum temperature. 200 to 210 will not harm these engines as long as the cooling system is up to task, and the engines oiling system is as well.
yes, i know it ain't 1967.
but if you are looking at your factory instrument cluster telling you your engine is 180 degrees, or the needle is pointing toward the "L" or possibly slightly more in the "middle" of the range sweep, you better take that with a grain of salt, as those indications were just generalities at best when new.
unless you have taken some time to precisely calibrate them to a "master" gauge/thermocouple, and this CAN be done, you are just playing tiddlywinks.
if it doesn't steam like a freight train, or puke coolant all over the ground when shut off, it ain't hot.
remember, this is just my OLD MAN opinion and my OLD MAN life experiences with [very] close to 60 years playing strictly with, and learning what i know now of, the Mopar brand of vehicles.
YOUR mileage will CERTAINLY vary.........
beer

Last edited by terzmo; 06/26/23 07:41 AM.