Originally Posted by 70Duster
Originally Posted by oldjonny

Correct. I have a '99 Toyota and the oil filter is identical to the 2010 I own (and fits my John Deere riding mower too).

This is not only smart engineering, but a huge cost savings too. Crank out hundreds of thousands of the same part number after a robust process is established and you're making money and a quality product. Don't change just for the sake of change. This also helps lower the dealers' cost since they don't have to stock 20 different oil filters. Kind of like Chrysler in the early 70's when the same starter fit almost every engine and model. This is the anthesis of Ford who may have three running changes of the same part in the same model year and none are interchangeable.

I remember somebody at the plant saying the Camry had the same basic engine from like 1986 to whenever that was, probably 2004 or so. Just minor updates and the same general thing for that whole period. I said for a long time somebody needs to just make the same car for many many years since since there just isn’t a need to reinvent the whole damn thing every 5 years. Finally dodge did that deal and I think it worked out for all involved.

I want my fair share