Originally Posted by MarkZ
Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
I had two Comp Cams mild hydraulic flat tappets wipe lobes within 20 minutes. I've been doing this for 45 years as a professional so I know what I'm doing. I did everything right and they still wiped lobes, the Summit cam before them had no problems. Comp replaced both of them and I returned the new cams to Summit or Jegs for credit and went roller. No more wiped lobes, but retrofit hydraulic rollers were a whole nother fuster cluck and I bought Morels because they are supposed to be good lifters and they are the same height as the stock magnum lifters. I swapped to magnum heads at the same time. Anyway 3 of the Morels weren't machined properly and wouldn't oil the rockers. Finally got that fixed, after paying for two more pairs of lifters plus overnight shipping, again. They are still noisy though.

I built my first aftermarket roller motor a couple of years ago. Comp retrofit roller lifters and a cam. Sounds like a sewing machine. Wasn't prepared for how noisy it would be.

I had a similar experience. I had a 440 based 512 built with a Comp hydraulic roller. It was so noisy, you could hear them with open headers. The engine builder didn't beleive me, so I trailered the car 100 miles to his shop and fired it up. He said that he had never had that happen before and offered to replace the Comp lifters with Morels or put solid rollers on it. He didn't know if the Morels would be quieter, but he said he was confident that the solids would not be that noisy. I went with the solids. They are still noisy, but not as bad as the hydraulics. He did that on his own dime. I believe he told me he set the valve lash to .010. I haven't run the valves since he built it. That is on the "to do list" for this winter.

74 Challenger, bought it new. In 1978 I replaced the original 318 with a 446 and 727. Mild cam, Jardine headers, and Holley Sniper EFI.
New engine! 511" RB, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Eagle rotating assy, Comp hyd roller cam, Doug's 2" headers.