Originally Posted by Sinitro
Battery Tenders do have issues...
I had 1 that shorted out and melted the case...
I took a picture and sent a message back to their corporate headquarters, but they didn't want the unit returned but they did sent me a replacement.
But a week later, their head of engineering called me and requested I see back the defective unit for their inspection and failure analysis...
Too late it was already tossed into the dumpster.
Note that 1 drawback of a battery tender that it does not address sulphate buildup which adds resistance and can destroy a unit.
So I started using a battery minder product, that sends a high voltage spike every 5 seconds to burn off the sulphate buildup.
5 years later using the battery minder, to date no problems and unit remains cool....

Just my $0.02... wink

I read somewhere that to charge a battery right it needs at least 16 volts at first then taper back to eat the sulphate.
My great grandfather made up his own set of batteries to run the lights on the farm (30s) had a lot of them in a shed that he maintained with acid and lead plates. He charged them with steam generator during the day. Only farm in Rock Hill that had lights. Mom said he was a smart guy.

Last edited by cudaman1969; 05/19/22 09:23 PM.