Originally Posted by poorboy
Maintenance and upkeep sure help get longer battery life, but I'm betting its as much the individual battery as it is the care it has received. I don't do battery tenders, don't want to burn down my garage because of them.

I've had batteries last 13+ years, and I've had a few of them fail in 6 months. I suspect the average battery life here is 7-8 years. I don't think the "newer" batteries (made in the last 10 years) last as long as the older batteries did, but really, I have no way to prove that either way. I have 3 vehicles, as long as all 3 vehicles don't kill a battery the same year, I'm a pretty happy guy. Over the years there used to be some brands of batteries that just didn't hold up well, and I avoided them like a plague. These days, I'm not so sure there is much differences in the battery brands, just some extra cost for some big brand names.

In 1984 I visited a Johnson Controls plant in South Carolina and they produced car batteries. While walking down the assembly lines I saw at least 10 different brands including Die Hard and Insterstate, different cases but the same internals... work

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!