Originally Posted by jlatessa
JBC, where did you source the collar shown in your post/
I have the collar from Hughs and it's the type you have to put a set screw into the shaft to tighten.
Your shows a cinching type which I believe will be easier to install.

Hughs shows in their catalogue the set screw type.

Thanks. Joe

I believe Hughes Engines used to carry the style I have pictured, but here's a link to another source.

https://www.huyett.com/products/power-transmission/shaft-collars/single-split-shaft-collars

I do clean the locking screw and collar with brake/carb cleaner, let it dry and use loctite on the screw. In addition to stabilizing my timing the collars significantly reduced the wear on my intermediate shaft gears.

I used to run bronze, but have since switched to the coated steel gears available at Hughes. I used to wondered how much having the bronze gear cryogenically treated would help, but when I switched to a new solid roller cam , I went with the steel gear.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)