With all due respect...

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Yes, puts you over their recommended seat pressure and well under max over the nose.

Absolutely do as you wish but asking here and doing otherwise defeats the purpose of asking for suggestions in this thread...

I see the forum as a great opportunity for someone like myself (with a somewhat limited amount of engine building experience) to get my ideas vetted by those in our hobby who have done this numerous times and know where the proverbial pitfalls lie (and/or hide...LOL).

For that very reason I am absolutely NOT looking at the feedback I receive as a "must do it" prescription, and certainly for that very same reason I will never hold anyone providing a recommendation to a "paid for" work order accountability.

You concurred with fast68plymouth's recommendation to install the 26056 beehive spring at 1.770" height, this is NOT the Comp Cams design spec (if their catalog entry can be viewed as such) which means that from my perspective I will ask the best questions I can pose to better understand the reasoning behind such a recommendation.

From my perspective fast68's original recommendation was applicable to the conical spring and not the 26056 (BOLD in quote below is my own):

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
...A couple of suitable modern choices would be:
Comp Beehive 26056 - 160@1.800/392@.580 lift
Comp conical 7228 - 136@1.800/390@.580 lift

The conical shimmed up to 150-155 on the seat(about 1.770), would put you at just over 400 open, with a big reduction in spring/retainer weight.

That’s right where I’d wanna be with that combo...

Subsequently my follow-up questions have been meant to understand why just a seemingly tiny 0.030" makes such a difference.

You brought up a whole bunch of excellent points regarding the Comp Cams parts and their stated operating ranges, I agree with all of them, however I still do not understand the recommendation to put more pressure (beyond the recommended max) on the lifter when on base circle, and really, we are talking 180 vs 160 lbs here??? I do however know that going that extra 0.030" shorter in installed height will cause me to spend a bunch more $$$ on additional parts...