EDIT
====
These initial measurements are WRONG, see updated post later on!

fast68plymouth, everyone...

Bringing this thread of mine back b/c I have a couple of updates and am looking for some further feedback.

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
As with just about anything involved with using parts that aren’t specifically designed for your particular application..... some reworking is often necessary...The beehive spring and cup combo is a drop in.

As fast pointed out (and graciously spelled out the part#) I went ahead and decided to "think forward" a tad, that being:
1) get something into place that would not require any further head machining
2) make best use of all the parts I currently have
3) give me a little "room to grow"

...and given that perspective I went ahead and ordered the Comp Beehive 26056 - 160@1.800/392@.580 lift, but instead of using the 703-16 spring retainers I opted for the 705-16, which are basically 703s with 0.050" extra installed height.

The parts finally came in yesterday (springs were on backorder), I measured stuff out today and so here is what I currently have:

1) I - 1.970" installed height
2) E - 1.928" installed height

I could shim the Intakes to get me to the matching 1.930" height, but that means the beehive springs would show only 100 lbs on the seat. That seems awefully low (and it looks like my effort to give me some room sort of backfired, should have probably stuck with the 703 retainer and would have had 0.050" installed height less today - alas, these were even further backordered and I figured I could always shim a bit more).

OK, so what now?

Well, the springs shows 120 lbs on the seat at 1.900" installed height, and that's actually not such a far cry from where I am. I have a decent assortment of shims and so I can get there easily.

My question to you guys is: will 120 lbs on the seat be enough? I ask since many of you previously responded with what felt like "you better have more than not enough seat pressure". However, the recommended beehive spring for this retro-fit roller is actually the 26986, and that only shows 109 lbs on the seat. So on the surface it looks like my 120 lbs @ seat should be fine.

What is confusing is that the Comp Cams recommended springs are:

1) 978, DUAL
127 @ seat
369 @ 0.600

2) 26986, BEEHIVE
109 @ seat
277 @ 0.600

...and my choice:

3) 26056, BEEHIVE
120 @ seat
360 @ 0.600

So while my spring feels like an "alright" fit, I am simply not sure what to make of the big difference in their recommended DUAL & BEEHIVE spring pressures???

Based on the reading I've done up-to-date it seems like the beehive springs allow you to run less pressure and yet control the valvetrain equally well, is that what you guys have experienced?

Last edited by Diplomat360; 08/09/20 08:22 PM.