Alright, it is extremely embarrasing to have to say this, but I made a MAJOR mistake in my measurements. Things just didn't add-up as I kept on going through these numbers in both the engine build spreadsheet I have here, as well as in my build notebook.

So I went back to re-measure, for the 4th time I think and finally had the presence of mind and clarity to note that the inner step of the spring height micrometer was recessed 0.140" below the top lip and NOT 0.040" which is what I previously focused on as I used my caliper to measure it and simply read off the 0.040" from the dial indicator....grrhh.... fan

Why does that matter? Well, the beehive spring retainer is smaller diameter, so it does NOT mate up against the top lip of the height micrometer, instead it sits against the inner mic body itself.

Therefore, here are the updated numbers for the installed height, basically an extra 0.100" shorter now:

1) I - 1.870" installed height
2) E - 1.828" installed height

Subsequently, this now means that I have approx. 130 lbs on the intake and about 150 on the exhaust and that is WITHOUT the use of any shims.

I do not want to go to a shorter spring installed height than the 1.800", which means I can toss a 0.060" shim on the intake and a 0.030" shim on the exhust and basically be set.

I suppose the only remaining question I have is this: is it OK to put those shims into the spring retaining cup (which is what I'm using) instead of under the cup? I ask b/c my initial intention was to simply drop the shims into the cup, but the more I have been reading about this and the more I have been pouring through parts catalogs the more I am discovering that the 'normal / recommended' way of doing this is to put a shim UNDER the cup. Of course that would mean I need to order a new set of shims...hmm....