Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
I have a ?.. why run a 2.00 valve when your in the 1.88 range.. I run the 2.00 stuff and set them
up for 2.00
wave

Well, so these are never used before W2 long valve heads, MP P4529995. The MP intake valve for these was P5249195, which was a 5.280" long valve. They called out a spring installed height of 1.95-2.02". They are a 3/8" stem valve and mostly no longer available, at least when I was looking for them I could no longer find them. Either way, even if I could get them I wanted to go to a 11/32" stem valve anyways.

So the Manely valves are a tad shorter, that being 2.240", which in turn meant that I most likely could not do a longer spring, short of running some offset locks and/or retainers that allow me to gain some height.

When the heads went to the machine shop I had asked for a 1.900" installed height setup which included the spring locators (0.060" thick). When they measured things out it turned out we were short and the advice I got was NOT to machine the springs seats in the heads given the water passeges beneath. The other option was to re-do the valve seat, sink them a tad to gain on the upper end, but that just seemed like an idea not worthwhile pursuing. It is cheaper to go the route of a new set of shorter installed height springs than it is to machine new seats.

That is basically how I got to where I am today.

I suppose another option would be to do away with the spring locators, after all this is an iron head. However, given the cam I'm running and the .580 lift I wanted to keep the valve centered as much as possible to do away with any guide side-loading (in case of spring walk). Now, that maybe a BS worry, I simply do not have the experience to know any better, however from a theory perspective that made sense.