Hi Everyone,

Starting to make some progress on my W2 long valve stroker SB build.

I had originally acquired Comp Cams #930 springs for this setup, given that with the long valve W2 config (with my Manley valves 11702-8 intake and 11703-8 exhaust) I was aiming for a 1.900" spring installed height.

Well, as it turns out the actual installed height (since I'm using spring locators to positively center off of the guide) gets me in the range of 1.860 - 1.870" on the intake side and 1.810-1.820" on the exhaust side. Subsequently the 930 spring pressure at the lower end of this (so 1.810) is a hefty 180 lbs, I think that's just seems like too much.

In my previous conversations with them I was given the following range of pressures the lifter could handle:
SEAT (closed) : 110-160 lbs
LOBE (open) : 280-485 lbs

I called Comp Cams yesterday, the guy I spoke with agreed, it was a bad idea to run that much pressure on the seat with their hydraulic roller lifter.

Before I splurge on replacement parts (978 and matching retainers) I'm curious what you guys make of it? There is always that chance that Comp Cams just wants to sell more parts, right? down