Originally Posted by second 70
Originally Posted by SportFuryS/23383
Hi everyone,

I got an update on our '67 440 stroker Fury. Yesterday we did a crank test where we put a breaker bar on the damper bolt that holds the damper to the crank (like Mr. Zippy suggested). We cranked the bolt before we started the engine and let it get hot, then we ran the engine until it was warm at operating temp then shut the car off then cranked the bolt again. We cranked the bolt 3 times and it turned about the same each time when it was cold and hot. The car ran great as always until it got up to operating temperature then started misfiring or shaking, we let it run and when it got hot the electric fans came on to cool the engine as they were supposed to twice maybe 3 times. Our Mopar friend/mechanic/guru I beleive saw this posting and called my stepfather about the car. My stepfather talked the problems over with him and another friend, and they both say to check the valves because it might be a tight valve guide problem as they were common with 440 source heads. So the next plan of action is to put a 4th distributor in that is built to spec for a 440 Super Commando, then go check the valve guide. Stay tuned. Here are some pictures of what we did yesterday, below is the ballast resistor and the last blurry temperature picture is when it started misfiring and when we shut it off .We started it up after we shut it off 3 times and it started all 3 times with minimal issue.....

I had a coil like that that got hot and caused the engine to quit.

Now that i seen pictures of your car, let me update my post from 8 days ago, CHANGE THE COIL! at the very least check the resistance cold and hot.

Joe

Without Data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.