Originally Posted by davenc
Doc,

This goes back a number of years. I had bought a fairly original 70 E-body with a 383 with 88K on the motor. Second oil change with a FRAM PH8A, started car up, and within about 5-10 seconds lifters start tapping. Look under the car to make sure I didn't do something stupid like add oil back without replacing the drain plug. No puddle. Checked the dipstick; plenty of oil. Started car a second time, lifters immediately tapping, shut it off. Scratched my head for a bit since it was running fine before the oil change. Since it was easy, I put the old oil filter back on the motor, add a bit of oil, and try again. No tick but the motor sounds different. Ended up pulling the motor within 6 months of the incident.

I kept that FRAM filter for a while because I did think about suing FRAM. Of course, I would need to prove it was the filter. I would need an expert to examine the motor parts to prove they were damaged by lack of oil. I would have to defend that it was not just coincidence with a 40 year old car (at the time) with some mileage. Lack of oil for a short time looks like excessive wear right? Likely would I need an attorney.

In the end I decided to do nothing. But motors have been lost to FRAM filters and I share this story when appropriate.

Dave

Getting an attorney doesn't change the fact you have to PROVE it was the fault of the filter alone that damaged the engine which is as close to impossible as you can get.

All you need to do is cut open a new Fram and a new Wix. You don't have to know anything about filter technology to know which one to use after that.

Kevin