Doc,

This goes back a number of years. I had bought a fairly original 70 E-body with a 383 with 88K on the motor. Second oil change with a FRAM PH8A, started car up, and within about 5-10 seconds lifters start tapping. Look under the car to make sure I didn't do something stupid like add oil back without replacing the drain plug. No puddle. Checked the dipstick; plenty of oil. Started car a second time, lifters immediately tapping, shut it off. Scratched my head for a bit since it was running fine before the oil change. Since it was easy, I put the old oil filter back on the motor, add a bit of oil, and try again. No tick but the motor sounds different. Ended up pulling the motor within 6 months of the incident.

I kept that FRAM filter for a while because I did think about suing FRAM. Of course, I would need to prove it was the filter. I would need an expert to examine the motor parts to prove they were damaged by lack of oil. I would have to defend that it was not just coincidence with a 40 year old car (at the time) with some mileage. Lack of oil for a short time looks like excessive wear right? Likely would I need an attorney.

In the end I decided to do nothing. But motors have been lost to FRAM filters and I share this story when appropriate.

Dave