Originally Posted by justinp61
I ran two of Daves cams in small blocks, a hydraulic and a flat solid, both made good power. Both engines were ran five years, when the engines were tore down both cams were worn on the nose of the lobe and had porosity on several lobes. I used good oil with eos added, and Hughes recommended springs. For what it's worth Ryan Johnson told me later that he didn't like their springs, said they didn't hold up well. I now run a solid roller.
the engles don't have as much nose radius as something like comp cams. I think the "peakier" noses aren't as comfortable with big pressures and can be more susceptible to wear. I've used several engles without any issue but don't use big springs. the engles aren't as fast off the seat as something like a comp extreme which I think helps with break in. I've got about 20,000 miles on a engle solid. may go away tomorrow; may be good for a few more years but I sure got my moneys worth out of it. in fact I had an extra one made for a spare because I like the one I have.