my depends on how you plan to use the car? The '71-'74 B-Body cars are pretty heavy, usually at least #3,800. If you want something to just cruse around in and take to car shows the 383 would be fine, but if you plan to drag race the car you will want more cubic inches and probbably be changing alot of parts that will take away from the stock apearance anyhow.

Here is the progression I have taken with my 1971 Charger 500 that had the numbers matching 383 4-bbl/auto trans, etc. I started with just a mild rebuild of the stock 383. Used a mild aftermarket cam, and did some mild port work on the heads. At the time I was still using the stock intake, exhaust, carb, converter, 3.23 open diff, etc. The car ran decent but was not really fast. The converter was also too tight for the new cam. I think the car ran 15's at Bandimere (most cars running 15's here can run mid 13's at lower altitude like Topeka.) In this configuration the car was street driven alot, and not raced very often.
Anyhow, I messed with headers, different intakes, carbs, and gears which made the car a bit quicker, but now the engine looked vary aftermarket/modified, and with the lower gear (high numerical) and bigger exhaust the highway RPM were much higher and the car much louder.
In town, and at the drag strip it was fun, but long 100+ mile trips got annoying.
Anyhow, I ended over reving the engine and bending some valve, so I droped in a 451 stroker I built for a different car, and that engine stayed in the car for over 10 years until it broke a valve and messed up the engine. The 451 made way more power than the mild 383, so it was real fun to drive, but also alot more $$$$ than the 383, not to mention I had to install a fuel cell, electric fuel pump, larger fuel lines, Drag Radials, higher stall converter, etc. Being at Bandimere kept the car in the 12's so I did not need to install a roll bar yet, but the car now was starting to become more of a drag car and only driven on the street to car shows, cruses, and for fun weekends.
Now I'm building a 500" stroker to put in the car, although I have considered stroking the original 383 and putting the car to more stock appearing/street status, and drop the 500 in the '69 Coronet R/T that the 451 was built for in the first place.

Anyhow, I hope that helps?