Originally Posted by AndyF
We did all of the dyno tests with a Holley Sniper setup. The Sniper is great to use on the dyno since I can sit in the control room and adjust the ignition timing as well as the jetting. We just hold the engine at a certain rpm and then tweak the timing and the fuel until it is working best and then move to the next point. It really is amazing what just a few degrees of timing will do at part throttle. At 2500 rpm we were able to reduce exhaust temp by 500 degrees by adding some timing. I've had cars in the past that would melt stuff under the hood while driving down the freeway and now I think I know why. Those cars had MSD billet distributors on them which didn't have any vacuum advance. We saw a big difference in exhaust gas temp between 35 degrees and 40 degrees of timing on the dyno at cruise speed. I'm tempted now to install a couple of EGT probes into my headers just to watch this in the car. I've been tuning for fuel consumption and manifold pressure at cruise but now I'm thinking I might also need to keep an eye on EGT.

I observed similar issues last year at the Gratiot cruise with the motor getting warm at speed. Also running an MSD billet distributor. 24 degrees initial, 34 total. I forget what spring is in it. Ended up having to pull the inspection covers over the control arms to get a little more airflow under the hood. Never an issue with cooler weather.

I've got the Holley Sniper distributor though waiting to go in. Need to finish the D60 install first.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60