Terry - this gets confusing because its two different issues in one thread, but I'll try.
Originally Posted By 71vert340

..I noticed to red wire lug to the ammeter was cut off.
.. a 10 gauge red wire from the battery to the one post of the starter relay.
... On the other post of the relay, there's a red wire (10 gauge) running from the relay through the cowl to be connected to the ammeter, completely bypassing the bulkhead connector block. The only problem is there's no fuse anywhere in it.

From this I get:
1 Ammeter is not being used
2. Battery is hooked to a terminal on the starter relay
3. A 10 gage wire is attached to a different terminal on the relay and goes through the firewall but is not attached to anything.
Yes? If so, identify what each terminal is on the relay.

Quote:
I was going to hook the original red wire up to the ammeter but after reading several posts on this, I think I'll leave the bypass wire hooked to the ammeter and just install a fuse or fusible link in the red wire bypass. Should it go between the battery and the starter relay or should it go between the relay and the ammeter?

This is confusing to me. If the ammeter is not used there still should be a wire that connects the battery to the main junction. It doesn't matter if it goes through the firewall or the connector. It must have a fusible link.

Take a look at Charging system operation and see what matches up.