Another issue with larger wheels on older cars is that the wheel openings were designed around a 14" or 15" wheel and tire. Conversely, modern car wheel openings are designed around larger wheels so they look more proportionate. Put a 15" wheel on a modern car and it looks just as silly as a muscle car with a larger wheel. Ever see an LX car with 20" front wheels and 15" slicks in the rear?

What can I say, it bugs me.

I am not totally opposed to updating older cars with modern equipment, there is a lot of it on my Duster - electric fan and water pump, Toyota alternator, serp belt, Bosch type relays, etc. Funny too because I was just thinking about how different it looks with all the shiny aluminum, black plastic and wiring, not even remotely old school.

But, that's under the hood and unless the hood is open and you really look at it, it's not that noticeable. People who know what they are looking at might react to it but it's not like set of wheels which can make or break a car. Again, if it came down to it, I would sacrifice some level of performance to achieve a pleasing aesthetic.

I don't really know if I am going to find a C-body, it might be a B body or even another A so this is all speculative thought. Regardless, it helps to flesh out the ideas and how far I would actually go. I prefer drag oriented cars myself but they're not totally practical for regular driving so in a sense, I am already making a concession to my ideals. I don't need to go too far in the opposite direction though, I'm sure I can come up with something that looks like I want it to while performing reasonably well under regular driving conditions.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500