From what I understand the old foundry was just that, old..Dust collection from machining processes can be a pain in Cali. As can bead, sand and soda blasting, my guess would be that they were not in compliance with dst collection during machining processes. Many companies in Cali are not, just get the wrong guy on the wrong day and there will be hell to pay. I am just commenting on the fact I have heard the old foundry was "shut down" by the state from a pretty reliable source. Seems to jive with what others have said here and other places as to why nothing is being turned out in a timely manor. Casting is a expensive time consuming process. Make it a Cali compliant foundry is likely all that more expensive. Edelbrock has a MUCH larger market share likely making the expense work it. Also they were not retro fitting an existing facility which can cost wa more than building a new one.

Just one tidbit. I had issues with bead blasting as it contains, or can contain unknown heavy metals. You either find a way to test all of it or comply wit the laws that exist for dealing with heavy metals or close it. In our case we closed most all the facilities doing it, was just the least costly way to go. They make it very very difficult to make old equipment, or rarely used equipment to be compliant. My guess is they chose to inspect the old foundry and found enough issues that it was not economically viable to stay in the business. Or at the very least will take time and a lot of money to make it compliant. I was a hazmat officer when I was at Travis AFB and had my share of issues and run ins with Cal Environmental people thank you...

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"