Originally Posted By mickm
so the other day while doing a burnout, i was told it sounds like the engine was misfiring.

looking inside the distributor cap, i see there is a fair amount of carbon scoring, sounds like things are jumping around in there.

it is a mopar electronic distributor with the tan cap, and it is vented, and an MSD system.

how do i go about fixing this? is it just possible that the vent isn't enough and i need to drill some more holes in the cap?

Did you ever figure out the problem? It could be a rotor phasing issue. I had that problem a long time ago with my first stroker motor which is why I started to make reluctors with the different offsets. When I checked my rotor alignment the rotor was pointed somewhat close to the right terminal without the vacuum advance hooked up, but once the vacuum advance kicked in the rotor swung far enough over that the spark could jump to the wrong terminal.

Just for the record, mechanical advance does not change the position of the rotor in relationship to the cap. Vacuum advance does since the vacuum can pulls the entire mechanism.

On my stroker motor there was enough intake manifold vacuum that at low throttle or on decel the can would fully advance and the rotor would move enough to cause mis-fire. I fixed it by splitting the difference on the reluctor. I spaced the rotor so it would be a little past the terminal with zero vacuum and then a little ahead of the terminal under full vacuum. That simple fix solved the problem.

I showed my fix to Eberg and he started selling the reluctors to others. I think he still sells them.