Originally Posted By TRENDZ
"Of course the firing event happens in the same place as far as the reluctor and pickup are concerned. The rotor will be ahead of where it was with no advance. It does not have to be spot on under the terminal to have the transfer of the spark."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! the rotor will not be advanced compared to the pickup, reluctor, or cap. It will be in the same position at all engine speeds.
The only change in rotor phase will happen with vacuum advance or external timing controls.

Ok, this is your problem i see. In reference to the phase being off, you can have the spark jump too far away and using a retard it can be worse. You need the rotor tip close to the terminal and not far away when the reluctor meets the pickup. I was posting about the msd video. I see where my statement caused confusion. Moving the adjustable rotor or using a different reluctor changes the alignment. I posted the phasing issue along the way, but you got stuck on this post i believe.

The entire situation stems from people not understanding the timing light will not show them the advancing position unless they dial back to zero. And wanting to bet others about a timing light firing when a spark happens, while not understanding it will still fire when the rotor/reluctor combo is in line with the pickup. Thus we have way way too many posts on this.

I want my fair share