Originally Posted By 68rrunner
However the Hotchkis units are quite different in construction. The most advantageous part of the Hotchkis design in that the Strut rod engages the LCA the same way the factory unit does, by resting on a machined shoulder. The other units bolt in from the rear which means that the engagement is the clamping force of the faster and the face of the rod which could allow movement of the threaded section. I've seen folks who install Heims onto the threaded section of of a fastener and over time and cycles, the threads will "waller" out the hole. No good, especially if that fastener shears or backs out...you have nothing holding your strut rod to the LCA.

Good point! Also look at the forward heim on the Hotchkis. I have to inspect mine to see if they used more than a standard bolt or I suspect that heim may be resting on threads, as well. Only about 200mi on my setup so far so I'm sure no wear.
Dan Weishaar posted about this regarding the Hotchkis UCAs a while back and I made sure I grabbed new Socket Head Cap Screws and modded them for the brackets.
My only complaint about the Hotchkis ones is the washer stack used to locate the forward mount is cumbersome (at least when your car is only 12" in the air and your head is against the concrete) and I would have much preferred a machined step washer like the RMS/PST unit. (something else to make!)

1971 Challenger