Originally Posted By Tomswheels
I think Samy already knows what I think, but after flogging my Valiant at Optima, my first recommendation is reliability. Some of my competitors were having overheating issues in the 105 degree heat, and there is nothing more frustrating. Next I like simplicity, the Borgeson box, the TTI shorty headers on a small block made the car not only easy to build, but easy to work on, and surprisingly great handling. I'm all for newer technology, if fitting a newgen Hemi was not cost/time prohibitive, and didn't add a bunch of weight, sure why not. After racing the Valiant all year, the ideal combo for me would be an aluminum or IMM headed stroker, with a Passon 5 speed.

That's what I have. But I will cheap out and eventually go just 4 speed.... a no frills aluminum headed 419 stroker from a kit I bought from IMM. No real fancy parts, F/I, etc. A cam everyone says is too small. A $130 used M1 single plane to kill a little low speed torque and hopefully? add some high speed HP and TQ. With a $80 used Edelbrock RPM to try if I want. I got about 8,000 care free miles on it. I adjust the solid lifters, but someone could just spec a hyd cam and get a tick less rpm out of it.

The one place where I tried to be cute and make a spreadbore into a squarebore carb flange, I got stinged. It cost me a intake and exhaust gasket, valve lapping compound, and my free labor. blush

But I though the Supercharged motor Samy got from the green Redline Valiant was good to go. If it needs hood clearance, add a scoop, bubble, whatever. It is what it is.