Originally Posted By MuuMuu101
Originally Posted By 67autocross
Just do a simple turn the key and drive it stock stroke 360 with a small carb, even if it makes 400 hp that will be plenty for autocross and track days given the brakes and tires that you have. If you start trying to build some high powered thing or do a gen 3 hemi swap you will be just looking at it sitting the garage for years.
You are not going to win the optima fastest street car shootout with the car if it has 400,500 or 700 horsepower...so build something you can get and drive and not lift the hood for a month.

The tower seems to be leaning more and more into this direction. We'll see what happens. This is what someone at FABO stated not too long ago.

Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but if I saw a 408 stroker or blown 360 and it only made 400whp I'd be none too impressed. Not trying to insult anybody, but a well thought out 360 would meet that goal easily, IMO.

How about a stock stroke 360 in the 10-10.5:1 compression range, roller cam upgrade (spec'd for your build, there are a few advantages over flat tappet), ported aluminum heads(ported Eddys or Speedmaster), port matched intake (single or dual plane), and last but not least, EFI (FITECH is looking promising). A build like this would easily meet your goals and, IMO, would be much more enjoyable. No hassling with the blower setup. No having to worry about the longevity issues with a 4" stroke (Piston skirt wear). No fooling with stumbles, bogs, or heat soak issues associated with carbs (assuming you can tune one anyway). Just get in it, hit the key, and go.

As much as I'd love EFI, I don't think I'll afford it this go around.

I would still try for the EFI if you don't already have a good carb, with systems like FITECH you would only be up a $1000 over a good carb, and if the carb runs bad you will be putting out money for jets and tuning.
I would personally shoot for 400-425HP at the crank for a car like yours, it will be fast enough to be fun on the street, enough for autocross and if you take it to a road race track it won't be overpowering your brakes, chassis and tires.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel