Quote:

Quote:

So what would cause a main or rod bearing to fail so soon? Is it likely that it was the machine shops fault? Bear in mind, they gave me the engine back with the rocker shafts backwards and rocker arms in the wrong places. Had two freeze plugs leak badly and need to be replaced. And they didn't bother to chase any threads from what I could see.

/I'm going to call the machine shop on Monday to tell them they need to take care of this.

In your valve train pic, are you using brass shims directly under your springs? I also notice your using a combo of behives and regular type springs.
It wouldn't hurt to inspect those as well. But, its more then likely bearings. From the filter pic, the deposits look like a lot.

I believe what you're seeing is exhaust valve rotators, tipicaLLY USED ON TRUCK AND rv ENGINES.

tHE SPRINGS ARE ALL THE SAME.

eXHAUST VALVE ROTATORS ARE HEAVY AND NOT GOOD FOR HI RPM ENGINES. bUT FINE/NECESSARY FOR A EVERYDAY DRIVER OR A TRUCK OR rv.

To the OP,

Tuneup has everything to do with engine longevity. Jetting/fuel mixture/pressure and timing.
It it is not right, it can easily pound the rod bearings out of it in some cases. Then all the bearings get wasted because the rods bearing junk and ruins the main bearings.

Bet all the rod bearings fall out(no crush) and are down to there brass like material backs.

So please don't jump to the conclusion that the machine shop did some thing wrong right away other than them not getting the core plugs in leak free.

I would think the shop are not dummys. And bet they didn't take the rockers off the shafts and were like that when they got them? IMO even if you ran the rockers like that it would have been ok. Maybe not the best but would have survived in a low rpm truck motor. I ran my rockers mixed up years ago and it never hurt anything that I knew about before I knew better.

Sucks I know,

Last edited by Challenger 1; 03/15/15 07:25 PM.