I have owned my A66 Challenger 340 convertible since 1980 and used it as a daily driver until about 1985. I then put the car away, always garaged and purchased many NOS parts back in the 80's when you could still get them for a reasonable price. I don't want to wait so long to enjoy the car and I am finally at a point (retirement) where I will have time to work on the old girl. I really do not want to do a 50,000 restoration on a car that I will be afraid to use. I am not into formal judging contests with every hose, nut and bolt being checked for color or markings! (If that is your thing; great, enjoy it) I am leaning toward working on it while using the car periodically, repairing what it needs to bring it back on the road and enjoy the car in mostly OE form.
I watched two A-66 covertible challengers recently sell (2014) one through Mecum, the other through a dealer. Both cars sold north of 50,000. The dealer sold car went to Europe. Our mopars in many cases have been priced so high, that everyday enthusiasts can't afford the nicer cars. We got priced out of our own market with "investors" buying up the more rare cars, spending a ton of money to restore, bidding on their own cars to raise auction prices, then trying to flip the car for a profit. It's the car version of the "housing bubble".
Everyone can do what they like with their own car, but what good is it if you have to be afraid to use and enjoy it.
I plan to use my available NOS parts, buy aftermarket parts if needed and enjoy the car.
A bright spot with all of this: so many people have put cars away, waiting for the day to "restore" the car but never get around to it. Cars are now coming into the market from the "old timers" who waited too long to follow their dream, and are making some cars available at a "reasonable" price. It is the reason why some of the cars are now selling at reasonable prices.
Sorry to be so long winded on this; Unless you are really into the show circuit, build your car the way you like it, at a reasonable cost and enjoy it! I am looking for mostly OE with reasonable exceptions as needed!

340challconvert

8171793-Dinopic15.JPG (126 downloads)

1970 A-66 340 Challenger convertible