Moparts

Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored???

Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/08/14 11:32 PM

Just a question for the day.Does anybody really get into,or care about restoring a car 100% OE correct or is "close" good enough? On one hand,if somebody mentions about ponying up some huge bucks for a NOS/OE part you always get some comments about who cares and should have just bought a repop part.Yet when someone post about the value of a car,many are quick to mention and point out everything the is "incorrect" about the car.I've never watched the juding at the Nats for OE,but just wonder if there are still a lot of people doing this or are they just not posting anything here.Or being NOS parts and fewer and fewer each year,is the end of this type of restoration over?
Posted By: RJS

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 12:33 AM

This is a very good question and will probably get alot of answers. When I look at a high priced or high end car I find myself looking for anything incorrect first. It's a vicious cycle and I don't think I can be fixed!

I've owned racecars, clones and Matching # cars. I always gravitate to the OE type car but in my life I wouldn't ever be able to own a 100% perfect ride. I've had as close as possible type cars and spent more money than brains on certain parts for them too.

So I guess put me in the close as possible category but it must have attention to detail and fit and finish for me.
Ron
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 12:52 AM

I have to agree with you Ron. Take my Dad's 1969 GTX vert for example. I am doing it as close to OE as I can but I know it will never be that 100% as Dad plans on driving it. Cars that are 100% are cars that are restored and then never driven again or loaded into and out of trailers. Just my opinion.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 12:57 AM

The only one who probably "really" cares is the owner and that's not set in stone !
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 01:32 AM

At the end of the day build the car to what you want since it's your car.

Do what ever it is that you can enjoy the car.
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 01:37 AM

I think you do the best you can with the funds you have available. Most don't have the funds to pay 400k in parts for a 100k car. Though I find it disturbing how many members will ridicule people for one item and yet other areas they are more than content to vary from OE.

I'd be willing to bet that most OE cars have a few re-pop parts, perhaps modified to fool the masses.

My personal preference is a good quality stock appearing car with good attention to all detail, whether or not it has true OE tires, hoses, . . . doesn't mean so much to me.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 02:04 AM

As mentioned, it all depends on your personal goals and desires as to how "correct" you want your car and what you plan on doing with it. The term "O.E" gets tossed around a lot to describe parts and restoration techniques but it's pretty well known that a truly "O.E." car is not a very common build, a VERY small percentage of our cars are of that level (O.E. Bronze/Silver/Gold) but if you do plan on getting your car judged in O.E. it can take A LOAD of $, many years of parts hunting, plus the know how and skill to build the car to achieve O.E.

On the other hand, there are far more people that like the overall "O.E" appearances and try to build an authentic looking "factory" car as affordable, at least in the easier to recognize areas. Most of these builders stop short of buying a set of NOS shocks that might cost $2,000.00 when a set of 4 generic black gas shocks work better, look 90% original, and cost $100.00. This applies especially to those who plan on driving their cars as it doesn't make much sense to spend thousands for NOS suspension parts or other wear items that will degrade as soon as you drive the car.

As far as people ridiculing other peoples cars? I don't see that very often on Moparts. I think a lot gets lost in translation when words are typed on the internet. Also, if someone claims their car is restored to O.E. and it isn't or lacks correct details, sure, they are probably going to receive some criticism accordingly.

So, to rephrase your question:

Is the O.E. appearance type restoration popular?

My answer; A resounding yes! But so are other styles of build so it's not the only choice, just one of them.

Posted By: fc7freak

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 02:16 AM

Personally, I like the OE look. The Duster I am restoring now will have an OE look. It will fool most people. This is all I can afford. I do admire the work that top notch resto people do. Even though I like this look it doesn't mean I look down on people that restore cars other ways. We all need each other in this hobby. I appreciate people like Scott that are a little anal on details. They give me a lot of info that I can't find just anywhere. Everybody enjoy!
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 02:38 AM

Different strokes for different folks. I installed the seats in my Challenger today and after tightening up the seat bolts I just stared at the primered belly with orange overspray blown in at the sides, appreciated that I had the correct seat nuts plated, seat frames correctly restored including the little springs repainted correct yellow. It all pleased me and that's what it's all about. Having said that I also added PS and disc brakes to the car and am powering it up. However all that stuff can be undone in a weekend.
If the owner loves what he's done to the car that's all that matters. However when a guy is asking $72k for a purportedly totally stock and correctly restored, 383 Super Bee, he can expect Moparts guys to find flaws if there are any and he should not feel any animosity because of that.
One other thing that I've said for years is that an original car is always in style, modified styles come and they go. So if you choose to modify a Mopar just be aware it might look dated five or ten years down the road.

Sheldon
Posted By: gtsuperbee

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 02:50 AM

I know it sounds crazy, but when I go to shows, I almost never walk over to look at a stock appearing car, unless it belongs to someone I know. This is probably most true for me in the case of a12 package cars. I've seen so many that look the same to me that I can't even tell them apart anymore unless they have some sort of super rare color combo. It is what it is... different strokes for different folks.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 04:45 AM

I have gone from Day 2 mods to full race and ultimately to conservative customizing including a Hemi engine swap. It's easy to modify a car and takes a lot less effort than a total nuts and bolts restoration. It takes a lot of know-how, experience, research and real dedication to get a modified car back to the original configuration and running condition or better. I have never been more satisfied or had a greater sense of accomplishment with my first car (an A12 that I owned for 24 years) until I got it back to original. Until you've been thru it, it's hard to appreciate the cars that have been restored to some level of originality. I like to look at these cars and compare them to my efforts. I admire the car owners who have the desire to bring their cars back to the way they were. Other than wheels and tires and internal engine mods to increase the performance, I would never consider customizing an original muscle car again. I have a hard time taking a second look at a chromed out engine compartment and cars with interior modifications like steering wheels, gauges and seats unless it is truly customized show car or has at least 500 hp. I know not everyone has the wherewithall to do it but you have to appreciate the one's that do.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 11:58 AM

Quote:

I know it sounds crazy, but when I go to shows, I almost never walk over to look at a stock appearing car, unless it belongs to someone I know. This is probably most true for me in the case of a12 package cars. I've seen so many that look the same to me that I can't even tell them apart anymore unless they have some sort of super rare color combo.

Same here.

While I can appreciate a well done resto its not my cup'o joe. My new 2014 Challenger? It started getting modded the instant it hit the driveway, actually before it even left the dealer!
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 12:31 PM

No matter how you slice it OE stock/modified driver/race car still beats sitting under a tree rotting away with "I'm going to restore it one day" as the excuse.
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies.I maybe should have reworded my original post as to "Is anybody doing a true OE restoration for Nats Judging".Just wondering if this is still a factor.Or is this type of restoration a thing of the past.I heard thru the grapevine that they are not sure who is going to be doing the judging this year(Nats OE) as Frank and/or Paul are not going to be?

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 02:35 PM

If there is no O.E. judging at the Nats this year it's not due to lack of interest in O.E. I won't go into detail about it here but in brief, blame the show owner/organizer for screwing the pooch on that deal.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 03:03 PM

Scott is exactly right. It is June 9 and I haven't heard much about who will step up to Judge OE other than one conversation with Dave Wise.
The entire Nats Judging is a WHOLE lot a work and pressure and Paul did a fantastic job and after two years he walked away and he had good reason to do so. Too bad since I was sure that with Paul at the wheel the Judging at the Nats was going to go in the right direction. Now
Posted By: RJS

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 04:58 PM

Quote:

If there is no O.E. judging at the Nats this year it's not due to lack of interest in O.E. I won't go into detail about it here but in brief, blame the show owner/organizer for screwing the pooch on that deal.

So can a post be started by those in the know so the rest of us can be up to date as to what's going on???
Ron

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 06:21 PM

Probably best explained by one of the judges inolved and not from a third party.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 08:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So can a post be started by those in the know so the rest of us can be up to date as to what's going on???
Ron

If you read Scott's and my post you know as much as we do. I have been a judge the past 5 years (not O.E.) and as of today, unless I hear something else, I will just enter my newest car and be just a participant.

Attached picture 8170652-Sunnydaypic.jpg
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 08:39 PM

Scott and Sheldon hit the nail on the head IMO.

O.E. look? Absolutely! I don't care for modified stuff with the exception of some day 2 items. Fads come and go but the O.E. look is always in style

O.E. meaning the ultra high end, date code and paint drip restos? I like them and appreciate them but couldn't justify date coded NOS shocks and exhaust for my car...especially since I built it to run.

If this is in relation to the $72k BIN on the 383 'Bee, I'd agree that the price puts the car in the range where perfection should be expected (and then some). ...still a nice car though and a resto can still be of high quality without being 100% dead-nuts correct.

Dave
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 08:46 PM

Quote:

O.E. meaning the ultra high end, date code and paint drip restos? I like them and appreciate them but couldn't justify date coded NOS shocks and exhaust for my car...especially since I built it to run.

I call those:

A great car for someone else to own!

You buy/restore it...and I'll come over and look at it.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 11:39 PM

I wouldn't want to see them all the same. Meaning not every car OE, modified, day 2, etc... but I like to see many different styles. Even when I build cars, I do them just about any way. I even appreciate a car that's in primer
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/09/14 11:41 PM

I think the only people who care about restored cars are 1) those who restored it 2) those working on a resto and 3) someone who owned one in their youth and 4) very few other people.

Frankly, if you've seen one you've seen them all. I'd rather look at a cheap home-built hotrod than a million-dollar resto any day. Creativity is what interests me, not someone's ability to recreate the past.

And let's be honest, virtually every restoration is done the way the factory "should" have done it - in other words, perfect paint and bodywork, when in fact they were far from perfect when they rolled off the assembly line.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 02:10 AM

Quote:

4) very few other people.

Frankly, if you've seen one you've seen them all.

I'd counter that...

I saw enough rags when we were young, and most of us couldn't afford anything pristine...

And I'd also counter that no two OEM jobs are 'the same'...

Just like at the factory, no two are alike...

Different nuances, different techniques, different interpretations...

Let's face it, the clock ticks...

Each one of these cars that gets returned to OEM is one more that history will remember...

Just like they rolled off the line...
Posted By: ademon

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 03:10 AM

To answer the op question" does anyone really care if a car is OE restored" I would say next to nobody really cares! Maybe the owner of the car and the other handful of guys being judged. If one wants to do the OE thing go for it, but don't knock the primered gremlin with the blown big block sticking out the hood parked next to you with the crowd around it!! LOL

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 03:27 AM

Quote:

And I'd also counter that no two OEM jobs are 'the same'...

Just like at the factory, no two are alike...

So what !!! And since no two are alike, how do you know what's right and what's wrong. Personally, I don't care. You either have a nice car or you don't. A 100% correct 67 Chrysler Newport just doesn't excite me. A tubbed out, blown Newport ... yeah, I'll look that over !!!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 05:08 AM

Quote:

To answer the op question" does anyone really care if a car is OE restored" I would say Maybe the owner of the car and the other handful of guys being judged.

This quote is what it basically boils down to, different strokes for different folks, we all have our own passions, while I can appreciate the effort,time and money that goes into an OEM build, I can also appreciate the same amount of effort, energy, money it takes to build a custom... to me OEM builds while nice, just lack the persona that a custom/modified/day 2 vehicle envokes, an OEM resto to me is like a blank canvass, waiting for the painter's first brush stroke
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 06:22 AM

Close is good enough. I did my car the way the factory would have don it if they took two years to build it. I really didn't want to compete with guys that paid someone else 100K to do a perfect resto. I like OE but I see absolutely no point if the car is going to be driven. I purposely over restored my car and drive the snot out of it. The one deviation from stock is a base coat clear coat belly and I powdercoated everything that isn't orange. Holding up pretty darn good too.
'KID

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 06:23 AM

Quote:

So what !!! And since no two are alike, how do you know what's right and what's wrong. Personally, I don't care.

Research, and surgical attention to detail, that's what...

And the creme de la creme will rise to the top of the mountain...

As in $$$...

There ain't no shortage of chopped cars...

I've seen enough to last me a lifetime...

Hendrick stole two S&M floppers...

A column auto, ugly Hemi 'bird brought a half a mil...

To get back to the original question, yes, it would appear someone out there 'cares'...

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 03:22 PM

Do you think Hendrick really "cares" or was just looking to dump some cash !!!!

I suppose if I were a multifrickinmillionaire I'd own some nice OE restored cars to - just for the hell of it.
Posted By: DeMopuar

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hendrick stole two S&M floppers...

A column auto, ugly Hemi 'bird brought a half a mil...

To get back to the original question, yes, it would appear someone out there 'cares'...

I do know that Hendrick did not steal anything for that $1 million price for the floppers he bought at Barrett Jackson this past January. This is what he bought, and you tell me if this was a good deal. Neither of the "floppers" ever raced. One of them was a new reproduction from the past few years with no parts from the original race cars, and the other was one of the three original race cars. But the one on offer was the one that was only for static display -- it was from period but it never raced. It was sent to dealerships for promotional reasons only. The only pieces that were absolutely genuine were the transporters. These were the actual pieces from that time (well, the static display flopper was real from the time as well, but how interesting is a race car with no race car experience?). So Hendrick, which is a race car nut, bought two cars that never raced, one is a total repop; but the transporters are the ones that did the original work of moving from spot to spot. I think he paid enough for some transporters with great history, but that's about it. No one else with money wanted this lot of four pieces because two of them were not very good, if you're talking about old race car stuff.

All I'm saying is, make sure you know what you're talking about when you say that someone got a good or bad deal. Without this little tid bit of knowledge above, yes, it sounds like a landfall. I guarantee if The Snake and The Mongoose flopper race cars were offered were real, we would be at multiple of what the $1 million price was -- but it wasn't and the resulting $1 million price reflects what they were.

I guarantee that the two guys that were bidding on the ugly hemi bird knew what they were bidding on -- it always takes two to tango. I did not see the car sell, but that's why these auctions are so interesting. Yes, you wonder why things go for that kind of money, and when you go and look at it either before or after the sale, it does make more sense. I did look at all of the e body convertibles at Barrett and let me tell you, if you think any of the buyers got good deals you would be very mistaken. Every e body convertible out there was a rusty car from the midwest. They all looked good if you were standing vertical, but once you looked underneath each and every e body convertible, oh my goodness, the rustiness that was not repaired, or repaired poorly was astounding. I would not have bid on one of the e body converts at Barrett -- and yes, I did get on my belly and look at every one. It seems in January 2014 if you wanted a poorly restored rust bucket e body convertible, Barrett was the place to buy one.

Mark

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 05:11 PM

Quote:

Frankly, if you've seen one you've seen them all. I'd rather look at a cheap home-built hotrod than a million-dollar resto any day.

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about cheap home-built hotrods...which outnumber correctly restored cars around here by about 100:1

Frankly, most people's "creativity" I can do without.

To each their own...

Dave
Posted By: swapman

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 05:34 PM

I like the "CLOSE BUT No CIGAR" cars.

I can appreciate all the effort and big $'s that are required of a OE.

Trouble is only guys with more money than brains will ever use them.
It is economically unfeasible to have fun with one, unless you judge fun by how many times you put up your tent and unfold your chair.

Make mined a non number matched figment of someone's imagination.

I even like Brand X an God forbid Mustangs.

Build'em, run'em, wreck'em, REBUILD 'em.

Just have fun with what ya brung.
Posted By: 340challconvert

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 08:31 PM

I have owned my A66 Challenger 340 convertible since 1980 and used it as a daily driver until about 1985. I then put the car away, always garaged and purchased many NOS parts back in the 80's when you could still get them for a reasonable price. I don't want to wait so long to enjoy the car and I am finally at a point (retirement) where I will have time to work on the old girl. I really do not want to do a 50,000 restoration on a car that I will be afraid to use. I am not into formal judging contests with every hose, nut and bolt being checked for color or markings! (If that is your thing; great, enjoy it) I am leaning toward working on it while using the car periodically, repairing what it needs to bring it back on the road and enjoy the car in mostly OE form.
I watched two A-66 covertible challengers recently sell (2014) one through Mecum, the other through a dealer. Both cars sold north of 50,000. The dealer sold car went to Europe. Our mopars in many cases have been priced so high, that everyday enthusiasts can't afford the nicer cars. We got priced out of our own market with "investors" buying up the more rare cars, spending a ton of money to restore, bidding on their own cars to raise auction prices, then trying to flip the car for a profit. It's the car version of the "housing bubble".
Everyone can do what they like with their own car, but what good is it if you have to be afraid to use and enjoy it.
I plan to use my available NOS parts, buy aftermarket parts if needed and enjoy the car.
A bright spot with all of this: so many people have put cars away, waiting for the day to "restore" the car but never get around to it. Cars are now coming into the market from the "old timers" who waited too long to follow their dream, and are making some cars available at a "reasonable" price. It is the reason why some of the cars are now selling at reasonable prices.
Sorry to be so long winded on this; Unless you are really into the show circuit, build your car the way you like it, at a reasonable cost and enjoy it! I am looking for mostly OE with reasonable exceptions as needed!

340challconvert

Attached picture 8171793-Dinopic15.JPG
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/10/14 08:53 PM

I'm with you 100%.
Posted By: DeMopuar

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 12:01 AM

I totally agree with the two guys above me too.

OEM done cars are nice for me to look at, but I really don't have the cash or the desire to own one. I appreciate what guys that do these go through, but for me; I like to drive my cars. I would not feel right driving an OEM car, me owning it or someone else's. I did an OEM Jaguar back in the day, and I told myself if I have to put a car in a trailer, then I don't want it. After that car I figured out that for me, I want to drive my cars, not trailer and look at them -- but that's just me.

It all depends what a guy wants to do with their cars. If you like showing them and not driving them to keep them clean -- O.K., to each his own. I also fully understand the guy that likes to drive his ride.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 02:15 AM

Call me silly but when I first drive my car I want it to look just like it did leaving the dealership in 69. Then it's going to get dirty by my driving it. So all the primer and coatings underneath are going to get grit and grime on them. Somehow I just think this is the way it is supposed to be, I couldn't buy a new 70 Challenger but I'm going to live the experience 44 years later.
Like I say it's a personal thing, other people want other experiences from their cars and that's just fine.

Sheldon
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 03:15 AM

This is pretty much how we did our cars as I am in the process of restoring my Dad's GTX vert right now. We plan on driving it and yes it will get dirty but it will be as good as it was brand new. So I have to clean and detail it every now and then. For me, the cleaning and the hands on time with these cars are relaxing for me and I find it priceless to be working on car that has stood the test of time and has body lines unlike any car of today.

And yes, I do my own work on my days off from my regular job. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?67715-Bringing-it-back-to-factory-specs
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 06:01 AM

I remember in 1986 the first car (70 six pack bee) that I saw that was being put back to stock. The owner removed the headers, mags etc and was putting the original emission decals and little parts back to stock. At the time I thought this was the coolest idea I'd ever heard. I've been a purest ever since.
KID
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 04:07 PM

340challconvert,
Why not sell off some-most-all of those NOS parts and fund the restoration?
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 04:22 PM

it seems alot of people are in denial!

when it comes time to pin a value on a car to buy or sell,
i think its something that everyone here cares about!

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 07:03 PM

Quote:

I couldn't buy a new 70 Challenger but I'm going to live the experience 44 years later.

Bullseye...
Posted By: swapman

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 07:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I couldn't buy a new 70 Challenger but I'm going to live the experience 44 years later.

Bullseye...

Alright, another case of E-Body envy solved.

All the rest of you, were coming ta getcha.

Soon we will take over the world.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 07:26 PM

Quote:

I remember in 1986 the first car (70 six pack bee) that I saw that was being put back to stock. The owner removed the headers, mags etc and was putting the original emission decals and little parts back to stock. At the time I thought this was the coolest idea I'd ever heard. I've been a purest ever since.
KID

I was swapping out headers, Mr. Gasket air cleaners, air shocks, extended shackles and pitted Cragars for stock stuff in the early 1980's....been at it ever since.

Dave

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I couldn't buy a new A, B, and yeah, even an E-body in '71 but I'm going to live the experience 43 years later.

Bullseye...

LMAO...

OK, Swapper...

I clarified a little...
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 07:54 PM

No.
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 07:55 PM

YES
Posted By: TurboMike

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 08:02 PM

There are a few good points brought up here. I can respect the hard work that it takes to bring back a car to OE level, but I can't justify the money. I am in my fifties, grew up when these cars were driven, worked on them and restored them. Now I build one that I can drive and enjoy.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 08:09 PM

I love to look over OE restored cars. I appreciate the effort and patience and money that goes into doing a restoration like that. I was too little tto remember the cars of teh late 60s and early 70s when they were new, so this gives me a chance to see what they were like.

For my own cars, I try to get as close to OE as possible. I will buy NOS if I can afford it, and will take the time to repair and clean up original parts. But, I don't go crazy with the over spray and inspection marks. I tend to over restore if it means that painting an original unpainted part prevents future corrosion.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 11:42 PM

Quote:

it seems alot of people are in denial!

when it comes time to pin a value on a car to buy or sell,
i think its something that everyone here cares about!

Not really, when I bought my 71 Cuda 34,000 original miles, the owner (original) flaunted every virtue of the car's originality, all the paper work, window sticker, and how he strived to keep it original over the decades, having it repainted in the original color, and in a single stage finish as original, yada, yada, yada, it came down to I just wanted a nice clean 71 Cuda, with a perfect grill, I bottom lined the guy with my price I thought the car was worth, about 40% less than he was asking, as I made it clear the car was going to be cloned into a HEMICUDA, and all the original "stuff" meant nothing to me...after a few months he called, said come get the car, as soon as it was home, it was boned out for a resto incorporating the usual shaker hood, rubber bumpers, rear window louvers, ralleys, gull wing, billboards, driveline transplant, etc, etc, etc, all the "original stuff" went in the trash, or sold off, some of the paper work went in the trash, the owners manual was sold off along with all the Chrysler dealer literature....

So some of us place different "values" on these machines, I look at them as the sum of their parts, numbers, originality, historical value mean nothing to me, they're just machines

Mike
Posted By: 383man

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/11/14 11:58 PM

Myself I like them either way. I mean back in the 70's when we had our muscle cars we hardly ever left them stock. They all got headers and mag wheels right away just to start. So I like slightly modified like my 63 but I also like some cars all stock also. The A12 cars looks great all stock as they say.........muscle car without any mods as some others do. Ron
Posted By: cdp

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 04:09 AM

I have an A12 that I'm trying to do a very accurate restoration on. Kind of side tracked right now....but anyways, I love the OE, "dip gray" look and the tags, markings, etc. But since completing sub assemblies, markings, documentation, etc.. At this point in my life and just turning 40, I'd prefer my next mopar to be a 340 4spd and hop in and drive it without so much worry of "perfection". I've even considered turning my 71 numbers matching GTX into a "day two" with a 6-pack and 5spd conversion and enjoying the da mn thing. It does me, nor the car any good to just sit in a garage or car show and just stair at it. Some bragging rights of having a blue chip car, yea...but in the end, it just sits there and looks pretty. And they are really just too expensive for my type of income.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 01:16 PM

Do I like looking and cking out all the little details on an OE level car? yes.

Do I want them all at an OE level? no.

Myself I used to want something close,,but not anymore. I want them correct to the average looker, but I will have stuff powder coated and painted to prevent rust. I want to drive my cars and so far all my customers do as well. None of them even own a trailer.

I have a 1970 Challenger Rt/SE in now. 440 sixpack 4 spd, 4-10 Dana car. Owner was in last night and his intention from the word go is drive the snot out of it,,4.10's and all.
First trip,,,the Mopar nats
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 01:28 PM

Quote:

I have a 1970 Challenger Rt/SE in now. 440 sixpack 4 spd, 4-10 Dana car. Owner was in last night and his intention from the word go is drive the snot out of it,,4.10's and all.
First trip,,,the Mopar nats

I'll be curious how long that will last... Been there, done that....... You'll be installing a GV in it soon.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 04:18 PM

Quote:

340challconvert,
Why not sell off some-most-all of those NOS parts and fund the restoration?

Good thought! I actually did recently sell off some the extras and purchased some parts I was missing in reproduction form. I wish I had been smart enough to stock away a larger number of NOS parts, but I really only purchased what I thought I would need for the one car. If I had done that, I would be a wealthy man today. I am in the process of kind of assessing my car's condition to determine what I will need in order to put it back on the road. Everything has to be put into perspective. I have two NOS fenders for the car with the original receipts. I paid about 199.00 for each fender (mechanics net) back in 1979-80. Making about 8000 a year at the time, the 400 bucks for the two fenders really hurt. At the time, it seemed like the "parts party" would last forever, never envisioning what would happen to the value of our cars.
There was, believe it or not, a Chrysler Parts hot line at the time, a phone number you could call with a mopar part number, and they would do a search of national dealerships to see if they had the part lying around. You would contact the dealer directly, purchase the part and have it shipped. Imagine an NOS challenger tail light bezel in the original box for 19.95, or new challenger grill for 157.00. When the parts starting going NS1, I picked up clean used versions because the cars were plentiful in the salvage yards. It was a great time to be a mopar owner and it was a lot of fun combing through the junk yards looking for parts.
But remember, they were still just cars to have fun with and the first car collector bubble was still about 10 years away!
We are lucky today in the fact that they finally started reproducing many parts, even though we pay through the nose for them. (And hope that the repros fit properly)
I can appreciate the work and time people put into their cars to be totally restored: they have beautiful machines and hopefully the money to support their endeavors. I want enjoy my car for what it is. Even in un-restored condition, it still amazes me how much attention they attract!
Enjoy the Mopar Journey!

Attached picture 8173833-Dinopic15.JPG
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 04:58 PM

Quote:

Just a question for the day.Does anybody really get into,or care about restoring a car 100% OE correct or is "close" good enough? On one hand,if somebody mentions about ponying up some huge bucks for a NOS/OE part you always get some comments about who cares and should have just bought a repop part.Yet when someone post about the value of a car,many are quick to mention and point out everything the is "incorrect" about the car.I've never watched the juding at the Nats for OE,but just wonder if there are still a lot of people doing this or are they just not posting anything here.Or being NOS parts and fewer and fewer each year,is the end of this type of restoration over?

its cool that is what some guys are into. if they want to make their car 100% or even close who am i say they are wrong. if thats what they want then i say go for it.

that being said. me personally don't care for it. when at say carlisle i avoid the stock area of all the models unless i have to walk through that area for a reason. stock just bores me. but hey its just not my thing. different strokes man.
Posted By: Dixie

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 06:10 PM

Let me flip the question around a little bit. If you find a 70 Hemi Cuda hardtop for sale. Let's say it's not numbers matching, but has date coded engine. Shaker car, 4spd, Super Trak pak. Let's say it's Hemi Orange with Black hockey stick and vinyl top. Ralley cluster. This is just to get an image in your mind. High end external paint and bodywork.

So, said car is riding on modern aftermarket wheels. Say Weld 5 spokes, but build sheet says it's a Ralley wheel car. Hemi has late model edelbrock carbs with individual aircleaners, aftermarket intake, Headers, with x pipe and flow masters. Big cam, aluminum water pump, aftermarket valve covers, aluminum race radiator with flex fan. Inside it has incorrectly covered seat covers, am/fm Pioneer radio in dash with big speakers in the rear. Let's say it's all in all a fresh car with nicely done work, although not "restoration" correct. Owner wants $250K because that's what Hemi Cuda's are selling for.

Assuming you have the cash, would you pay $250K for a non OE restored Hemi Cuda? Assuming you don't want a OE restored car, just a hot rod. Is a hot rod worth $250K just because there is an "R" in the VIN? If the guy did quality work, and it's not gawdy, more of a day 2 looking car, does it kill the value? Or is it just different, but of the same value? This is where it gets sticky.

I like both OE cars and hot rods, but for different reasons. When you ask does anybody care, it becomes the infamous "it depends" answer. As a buyer/owner if you want a stock restored car, then you want a stock restored car. If you don't, you don't. But, when it comes to buying or selling a car that isn't stock restored (not necessarily OE)the value is impacted by how far off you get from stock and how well the work is done both tastefully and technically. That doesn't mean you can't get strong money. You have to know your market and what people in that market want. Ok, I've blathered on enough for now.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 06:32 PM

Quote:

I'll be curious how long that will last... Been there, done that....... You'll be installing a GV in it soon.

Troy,
I seriously doubt that,, he has a 1970 Hemi Cuda ( real car ) , auto with 4.10's he drives on a regular basis. So I don't see this one will being treated any differently.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 06:36 PM

As with anything, it is all about the person who owns the vehicle. I built my car for me. I like to look at the OE restored cars, and modified, but I like to drive my car.

I tried to remain true to OE on my Sport Satellite, but added the auto dimming rearview mirror with temp/compass and homelink, hidden stereo with ipod and satellite radio, and the remote lock/unlock and remote trunk lock (5th avenue electric trunk release - fits perfect, with button in glove compartment too)and cloth insert in seats. It makes the car so much more "modern" to drive, along with factory a/c, cruise control, disc brake conversion up front, tubular upper control arms and Firm feel III box.

The car looks OE, but certainly has a better/more comfy feel than the OE car. I am enjoying it, and if others can appreciate it, that is great too !

In the end, different strokes for different folks . . . you have to decide what you want, then do it.

Just my two cents worth . . .

Cheers,

Mark

Attached picture 8173973-Satellite2LethMay2013.jpg
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 07:03 PM

Quote:

Let me flip the question around a little bit. If you find a 70 Hemi Cuda hardtop for sale. Let's say it's not numbers matching, but has date coded engine. Shaker car, 4spd, Super Trak pak. Let's say it's Hemi Orange with Black hockey stick and vinyl top. Ralley cluster. This is just to get an image in your mind. High end external paint and bodywork.

So, said car is riding on modern aftermarket wheels. Say Weld 5 spokes, but build sheet says it's a Ralley wheel car. Hemi has late model edelbrock carbs with individual aircleaners, aftermarket intake, Headers, with x pipe and flow masters. Big cam, aluminum water pump, aftermarket valve covers, aluminum race radiator with flex fan. Inside it has incorrectly covered seat covers, am/fm Pioneer radio in dash with big speakers in the rear. Let's say it's all in all a fresh car with nicely done work, although not "restoration" correct. Owner wants $250K because that's what Hemi Cuda's are selling for.

Assuming you have the cash, would you pay $250K for a non OE restored Hemi Cuda? Assuming you don't want a OE restored car, just a hot rod. Is a hot rod worth $250K just because there is an "R" in the VIN? If the guy did quality work, and it's not gawdy, more of a day 2 looking car, does it kill the value? Or is it just different, but of the same value? This is where it gets sticky.

I like both OE cars and hot rods, but for different reasons. When you ask does anybody care, it becomes the infamous "it depends" answer. As a buyer/owner if you want a stock restored car, then you want a stock restored car. If you don't, you don't. But, when it comes to buying or selling a car that isn't stock restored (not necessarily OE)the value is impacted by how far off you get from stock and how well the work is done both tastefully and technically. That doesn't mean you can't get strong money. You have to know your market and what people in that market want. Ok, I've blathered on enough for now.

That's a lot of money......... even in yesterday's market..... That's just me of course........

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 07:37 PM

I appreciate and acknowledge high levels of craftsmanship and detail.

Whether it Modified, Pro Street, Hot Rod, Rat Rod, Race Car, As delivered from factory, Made to look as delivered but made to withstand driving, Drag Car, Pro Touring... whatever.

Just because I don't own or want to own a particular type of vehicle, doesn't mean I can't appreciate and acknowledge them.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 07:49 PM

Quote:

Just because I don't own or want to own a particular type of vehicle, doesn't mean I can't appreciate and acknowledge them.

Dave

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 07:56 PM

Quote:

I appreciate and acknowledge high levels of craftsmanship and detail.

Whether it Modified, Pro Street, Hot Rod, Rat Rod, Race Car, As delivered from factory, Made to look as delivered but made to withstand driving, Drag Car, Pro Touring... whatever.

Very well put!

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 10:18 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't/couldn't waste $250K on one car, even if it was chump change to me, for $250 I could build a handful of cloned HEMI cars...

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/12/14 11:01 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't/couldn't waste $250K on one car, even if it was chump change to me, for $250 I could build a handful of cloned HEMI cars...

'Waste' being entirely subjective...

No 'tributes' for me...

Be it a Mopar, a 7-up, or the Mona Lisa...

For me, it's got to be 'The Real Thing'...

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/13/14 12:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

'Waste' being entirely subjective...

No 'tributes' for me...

Be it a Mopar, a 7-up, or the Mona Lisa...

For me, it's got to be 'The Real Thing'...

Which one's the "real thing", which one do you find the better of the two, both were painted in DiVinci's studio in 1503

Attached picture 8174374-mona.JPG

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/13/14 12:48 AM

How "real" is this?...

Attached picture 8174379-real.JPG

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/13/14 01:40 AM

Quote:

How "real" is this?...

Real enough that if I had deep enough pockets, it'd be in my garage...

Just the way it sits...

Its controversy is its biggest appeal...

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/13/14 01:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

For 250,000 I could buy a place to live!
Posted By: skicker

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/13/14 03:44 PM

What if the car you have is not a true "Muscle Car"? My Satellite was a 318-727 grocery getter over its life. It retains all the factory sheet metal with the exception of the hood, which is the one I got with the car. I feel with a car like mine which has no real value to begin with that modifications are kind of a no harm no foul thing. Would it look like it does now had it been a real Runner or GTX? Probably not, but I sure don't see the harm in modifying a car that doesn't have a pedigree. I could have very easily done it up as a Runner or Bird clone but to a point I think the fun factor would have been different. I drive it a ton, wherever, whenever I want. I don't think I would want to if it was a real A-12, Runner, GTX or Cuda'.

Attached picture 8174942-004(2).jpg
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/13/14 06:09 PM

Absolutely there are people who care! I estimate it to be .000002 percent of the world's population.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/14/14 04:29 AM

I went to a fair amount of trouble to make mine OE appearing and then promptly drove the crap out of it. I really like the OE look with some tire under it. As with many I don't really see the purpose of of cave dweller, I just really like to drive them. A lot of people are amazed that I drive it and reference the value but the reality is a lot of new cars cost more than it's worth. When I no longer feel I can drive it and hammer it I will sale it to someone who wants a trailer queen. Moved under it's own power for the first time in 20 years March 31st and have 2400 miles on it day. Hagerty isn't gonna like me.

Beater muscle car has to be my most favorite carnation of these cars.
Posted By: 70 buzz

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/14/14 12:33 PM

Quote:

This is pretty much how we did our cars as I am in the process of restoring my Dad's GTX vert right now. We plan on driving it and yes it will get dirty but it will be as good as it was brand new. So I have to clean and detail it every now and then. For me, the cleaning and the hands on time with these cars are relaxing for me and I find it priceless to be working on car that has stood the test of time and has body lines unlike any car of today.

And yes, I do my own work on my days off from my regular job. Man Brian wish you lived closer. I have a lot of relaxation you could do. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php67715-Bringing-it-back-to-factory-specs

Posted By: cmansell

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/14/14 11:04 PM

A real OE car is a masterpiece of work and something I hope survives after all the shiny bottoms with carpet and mirrors stuck under them are moved into the modified ranks. I cringe when I see those boards and it states restored by "whoever" standing in front of a nice car that's had a lot of money spent on it, but not restored.
Posted By: can.al

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/14/14 11:38 PM

..why do these O.E.restoration threads upset so many non O.E. builders?
Posted By: Scatransit

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/15/14 02:46 AM

Not me...
When I go to a big show I go straight to the survivors.... That's the REAL "OE"!
Posted By: jcc

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/15/14 04:30 AM

For us less informed, please define a "day 2" car.

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/15/14 05:44 AM

Quote:

For us less informed, please define a "day 2" car.

"Day 2" car is basically an original, or OEM restored vehicle with "Day 2" modifications done to it, those being what many original new car owners did back in the day after taking delivery, mag wheels, headers, air shocks, side pipes, ladder bars etc, etc, personal/custom touches that are period correct

Mike
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/15/14 05:02 PM

the guy that just paid 3.5 million for a car cares

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/15/14 05:23 PM

Quote:

the guy that just paid 3.5 million for a car cares

Well that car was not OE restored that would win a gold or silver cert at NATS. Was not the intentions of the guy who had it restored nor was it what he paid for.

More like car that would place high maybe 1st depending on other cars at regular show field judging at very large Mopar shows, multi make shows, AACA, concours events, etc.

Has any hemi E-body convertible participated in OE Nat certified judging?
Posted By: ademon

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/15/14 05:56 PM

Quote:

..why do these O.E.restoration threads upset so many non O.E. builders?

how many real O.E. Builders are out there? Also a lot of guys think they have a O.E. Type resto when in fact it's not even close just have to look at the no orange peel perfect paint job, and overly shiny , over done engine paint. To me these are just "restored to stock" cars. Only have seen a few examples of true O.E. Efforts mostly in magazines.
Posted By: clonedshaker+6

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/15/14 08:54 PM

id say yes, but im not building my car that way, I want to drive my car like I stole it. its why im such a fan of FAST and purestock the cars look very close to stock and they get used like they are supposed to. I prefer stock, period correct, and old race cars like if it was all done back in the day when the cars were only a few years old, but the one thing I cant stand it modernized old muscle cars with 20inch wheels, 2 tone paint, chrome everything and modern interiors. but hey, that's my opinion do what you want to your car after all it is yours

Attached picture 8177049-DSCN2082.JPG
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/15/14 10:11 PM

Quote:

A far as I'm concerned it is a jump ball at this point. I have not received any information form the event organizer as to what is going on this year at the Nationals. There is plenty of interest. I receive at least 1 phone call per week about OE judging and I have no answer to give.
Posted By: markrr

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/16/14 01:26 PM

Quote:

but the one thing I cant stand it modernized old muscle cars with 20inch wheels, 2 tone paint, chrome everything and modern interiors. but hey, that's my opinion do what you want to your car after all it is yours

Posted By: 340wedge

Re: Does Anybody Really Care If a Car is OE Restored??? - 06/16/14 03:49 PM

I totally appreciate the amount of research and work that goes into a OE restored car. I do not think any car is really OE in a sense. These cars had parts rusting on suspensions just sitting on the lot waiting to be sold. Some were under snow, some had knobs falling off, or a defect from day one. These things cannot be captured, only survivors come close, but even most survivors have had some changes over the years.
© 2024 Moparts Forums