Quote:

Quote:

Hendrick stole two S&M floppers...

A column auto, ugly Hemi 'bird brought a half a mil...

To get back to the original question, yes, it would appear someone out there 'cares'...

I do know that Hendrick did not steal anything for that $1 million price for the floppers he bought at Barrett Jackson this past January. This is what he bought, and you tell me if this was a good deal. Neither of the "floppers" ever raced. One of them was a new reproduction from the past few years with no parts from the original race cars, and the other was one of the three original race cars. But the one on offer was the one that was only for static display -- it was from period but it never raced. It was sent to dealerships for promotional reasons only. The only pieces that were absolutely genuine were the transporters. These were the actual pieces from that time (well, the static display flopper was real from the time as well, but how interesting is a race car with no race car experience?). So Hendrick, which is a race car nut, bought two cars that never raced, one is a total repop; but the transporters are the ones that did the original work of moving from spot to spot. I think he paid enough for some transporters with great history, but that's about it. No one else with money wanted this lot of four pieces because two of them were not very good, if you're talking about old race car stuff.

All I'm saying is, make sure you know what you're talking about when you say that someone got a good or bad deal. Without this little tid bit of knowledge above, yes, it sounds like a landfall. I guarantee if The Snake and The Mongoose flopper race cars were offered were real, we would be at multiple of what the $1 million price was -- but it wasn't and the resulting $1 million price reflects what they were.

I guarantee that the two guys that were bidding on the ugly hemi bird knew what they were bidding on -- it always takes two to tango. I did not see the car sell, but that's why these auctions are so interesting. Yes, you wonder why things go for that kind of money, and when you go and look at it either before or after the sale, it does make more sense. I did look at all of the e body convertibles at Barrett and let me tell you, if you think any of the buyers got good deals you would be very mistaken. Every e body convertible out there was a rusty car from the midwest. They all looked good if you were standing vertical, but once you looked underneath each and every e body convertible, oh my goodness, the rustiness that was not repaired, or repaired poorly was astounding. I would not have bid on one of the e body converts at Barrett -- and yes, I did get on my belly and look at every one. It seems in January 2014 if you wanted a poorly restored rust bucket e body convertible, Barrett was the place to buy one.

Mark