Quote:

Quote:

Let me flip the question around a little bit. If you find a 70 Hemi Cuda hardtop for sale. Let's say it's not numbers matching, but has date coded engine. Shaker car, 4spd, Super Trak pak. Let's say it's Hemi Orange with Black hockey stick and vinyl top. Ralley cluster. This is just to get an image in your mind. High end external paint and bodywork.

So, said car is riding on modern aftermarket wheels. Say Weld 5 spokes, but build sheet says it's a Ralley wheel car. Hemi has late model edelbrock carbs with individual aircleaners, aftermarket intake, Headers, with x pipe and flow masters. Big cam, aluminum water pump, aftermarket valve covers, aluminum race radiator with flex fan. Inside it has incorrectly covered seat covers, am/fm Pioneer radio in dash with big speakers in the rear. Let's say it's all in all a fresh car with nicely done work, although not "restoration" correct. Owner wants $250K because that's what Hemi Cuda's are selling for.

Assuming you have the cash, would you pay $250K for a non OE restored Hemi Cuda? Assuming you don't want a OE restored car, just a hot rod. Is a hot rod worth $250K just because there is an "R" in the VIN? If the guy did quality work, and it's not gawdy, more of a day 2 looking car, does it kill the value? Or is it just different, but of the same value? This is where it gets sticky.

I like both OE cars and hot rods, but for different reasons. When you ask does anybody care, it becomes the infamous "it depends" answer. As a buyer/owner if you want a stock restored car, then you want a stock restored car. If you don't, you don't. But, when it comes to buying or selling a car that isn't stock restored (not necessarily OE)the value is impacted by how far off you get from stock and how well the work is done both tastefully and technically. That doesn't mean you can't get strong money. You have to know your market and what people in that market want. Ok, I've blathered on enough for now.

I wouldn't/couldn't waste $250K on one car, even if it was chump change to me, for $250 I could build a handful of cloned HEMI cars...

For 250,000 I could buy a place to live!

1970 A-66 340 Challenger convertible