Quote:

I'm thinking conflict of interests. You are at paid at work to make money for the company and produce the best products possible.

The comment was in jest. Anyway the real issue is that you are using company resources to profit yourself and not the company. For the most part any IP you develop belongs to your employer. If you use their resources and it is in the same line of business then legally they own your work. If you use their resources and it is not in their line of business it starts to become gray. If you do not use their resources and it is not in their line of business then you are most likely clear. It may also be dependent on your employment contract if you have such a thing. Partly in jest, one could argue that since Chrysler is pretty much absent with little meaningful presence in the aftermarket (especially compared to Ford or Chevrolet) that anything developed for the aftermarket is not related to their business.

Where I work, if I am to invent or desire to market something under my terms of employment I would first be obligated to my employer to give them first right of refusal. My employer is pretty fair in the sense that if it is not a business they have interest in they give you a pass. If it is, they will help you with the patent work and give you awards proportional to the financial impact. Likewise if I am involved in or have part ownership in a business that is in no way related or serves my company that is OK as long as I disclose this to them up front. For example, we own part of an irrigation supply wholesaler and my employer makes computer chips. Pretty clear this is not a conflict of interest.

Michael 1968 Barracuda Notchback Coupe 440 EFI 6-pack, T56 Magnum 6-spd