Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think a glide will work very well in the car just don't buy junk or improperly built stuff or it will just slow you down. I heard someone here rambling about stock cases and stock gearsets and that's bad advice all around. If you get into something like that you will wish you never saw a powerglide.

Hutch

Yeah!!! what he said.Put a stock cheap PG behind 2000 hp and a 3000# and or even a 900 hp 3500# car and pull the pin The last PG I priced out for a 1000 hp,3100# car was a Coan "Ultimate Big Dog Glide"@$5000 +$1300 for a converter.Some of their Superglide-XST trans run 0ver $8000 The cheaper glides are 6 clutch and 300m alloy shafts with 1.76 and 1.82 ratios std cases run aprox $1400 and up,depending on the options+ the converter.

You are shopping at the wrong place then. I listed above what you can get in a $3200 glide that WILL live behind 2000hp in a 3000lb car on Drag Radials. How do I know, because we have done it for years. Serviced the trans ONCE a season. NEVER, I repeat NEVER broke a 1.80 straight cut gear set in the car. And NOTHING is as hard on parts as a drag radial car. The only reason the glide came out was for a 2 speed Turbo 400 with a 1.48 low gear.

And while I ultimately respect Hutch and his opinion, the power glide stock case is not weak. Cut the bell off and put an aftermarket bell on it and the trans will be fine. Plenty of stock cases out there in some REALLY high HP stuff. Shane Stack has a stock case in his 3250lb twin turbo car that runs 4.30s. Been it in for years.

Every time a glide is mentioned in a Mopar, people get up in arms and start talking about how expensive it is, same as the 9" Ford argument. CAN you spend $5000 on a glide, you bet, do you NEED that in every car....NO.

To the OP.....you are in north Alabama. Run down to Muscle Shoals, talk to the boys at PTC. They will set you up with what you need and it WON'T cost you an arm and a leg

Monte

Monte,no one is disagreeing with you,some of us are just sharing our opinions based on our information.My pricing and recommendations are from Craig at Coan.The basic trans are fairly cheap but once you start adding options like the bells, cases,straight cut gears,10 disc packs,low gear ratios,super sprags,bolt on billit output shafts and the host of other options then the cost adds quickly.Basic PGs are realitively cheap costing from $1000 to $1700 depending on options.Race converters run from $600 to off the charts.I don't think anyone is being argumentative,just difference of opinion and sharing of thought and recommending based on that.If we all think the same,then none of us are thinking.We run PGs in a few of our chassis cars as well as Ford rearends.If buy sharing our opinion upsets anyone,we apologize.