Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Come on Monte need more details...............

Too funny..............you can argue over some dumb azz street racing show but when I ask you for details about something "real", you clam up............

Sorry, but most of the time I have WAY more important things to do than argue on the internet, especially on a Saturday night

But you want to know numbers from a combo run in the 70s.....well lets see. Tracks were all asphalt and not very good at that. You rarely saw concrete pads back then except at REALLY nice tracks. Suspension and tires were not near as evolved as they are now. You couldn't BUY anything, you had to design and make it yourself. The car was a 440 six pack 70 Challenger, that could run in FA or GA depending on weight. Super stock rules were VERY restrictive back then, unlike today. So the car was stock block, stock head casting, stock steel crank, steel rods, roller cam, Weiand 6 pack intake, reworked factory carbs. In GA trim I think it had to weigh 3410 or 3310, can't remember which. Car ran 6.50-6.60s back then on the crappy asphalt tracks with a best in the mid .40s. No such thing as a 60ft clock in the 70s. As stated above, nothing on the slip but the ET and speed. Car held SS/GA record off and on for a couple years. My dad took it from Rossi, Paul took it back, then all the local tracks starting to go brackets instead of class racing and my dad parked the car. Too expensive for a working man to travel the circuit back then. If you couldn't race at the local level to make some money, you were out of luck.

On the local level, tracks ran classes and you could run yours and 3 above it at most tracks. So locally we ran SS/D,E,F,G. On the local level, a fast enough car to hold an NHRA record usually mopped up at a small track........BUT...tech was VERY loose, so the chances of the "locals" being legal were slim to none. Most would NOT have been legal for Modified Production......LOL. But still a fast car, such as my dads won 90% or more of his races. We only had trouble with "D" cars, as this was the Hemi E body and 427 Camaro class. If a GOOD "D" car was on the grounds, it was a problem. The problem with having a dominant car locally though, is that eventually you have NOBODY to race and have to jump to higher classes. By the end, we were having to run A,B,C,D and you know what cars are in these classes. We still did VERY well though, until the tracks were forced to go to this new "bracket racing" and my dad quit. Back then, we ran Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday at 3 different tracks and usually went 4 for 4 in class at 3 tracks every weekend. Even though per class pay was relatively low, if you won that much, you did ok.

My dad was fortunate to be able to do what he did. He was an engineer with Monsanto and my mother worked at NASA. He applied engineering principles to a race car, which was not near as common back them. He wanted everything on the car "perfect". I remember him taking a crank to a local grinder and pointing out which throws he wanted a half thousandth taken off. The grinder looked at him like he was from Mars and finally said ok, "but YOU mic it and tell me where YOU want it and I will grind it"........LOL!!

How is that for "real" info......LOL!!!

Monte

So no mention of weight or axles or spool(if u had one)so not to argue but todays parts are stronger but car are faster so,............
If weight, power and hooking kills em then I guess I don`t make enuff power, am light enuff and don`t hook good enuff...........sounds like I found a winning combnation.......

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....