Quote:

Quote:

What the car 60fts and really, even what it weighs is of no consequence as to whether you will break the rear or not. WHAT matters is how well you stick the tire and how much torque it makes. If you make torque AND stick the tire, the case and pinion flexes as the pinion tries to climb the ring gear. This flex pulls the pinion gear away from the ring gear and it shears teeth. A back brace keeps you from bending the axle tubes, but does ZERO to address the chunk or pinion flex. Breaking caps, is a result of the other stuff moving around. Good caps may make the gear set last longer, but still does NOT address the problem. Even if you have a better case, such as the alum MP unit, the pinion stem is still too small. Bottom line, you are NOT going to "fix" the weakness in the 8.75, I don't care how much money you spend on it. The design is just inferior to other rears. If you make power and halfway stick the tire, you WILL break it.

As for gears, Motive bought out Richmond and all the gears are made in Italy and are actually a better quality of steel than before

Monte

Guess I`m not making enuff power to kill mine which is probably a blessing and 1.36 60`s are helping also I guess. Been adding up parts and prices and the 9" can get stupid expensive in a hurry so when I can I`m ordering a complete Dana-60 from Dr. Diff...........

Not really true......lets look at some pricing. A junkyard 9" or Dana housing are easily found. 9" are everywhere and will be dirt cheap. A pass car Dana, if you find one in a bone yard, will cost more and a truck housing will be even heavier and require more work. Both will likely need to be narrowed, new perches, brackets etc. The Ford will require a back brace. So considering initial cost and work involved, the junkyard route is probably a wash on cost or in favor of Ford.

Aftermarket cost boils down to what you want and how much you are willing to spend on a housing. The S-60 housing is NOT cheap and Fords can be had from a couple hundred, to a couple thousand, just depends on what you want.

Axles are a wash.

Brakes are a wash. If you have Mopar brakes already, you can put Mopar ends on your Ford and reuse them. Again a wash.

A Dana spool is $225 and bearings are $74........Jegs prices
A 9" spool is $152 and bearings are $40.............Jegs prices

Gears a wash or in Ford favor depending on ratio desired, as Dana is VERY limited.

So at this point, the Ford is likely $100 or more cheaper, depending on what you did for a housing and gears.

Where the Ford costs more is the chunk.......BUT...not everybody needs an $1100 MW thru bolt case. You can get a Nodular Iron Strange case that will be fine for most street strip applications for $250 or the Nodular Pro Series case for $300. You will need an aluminum or Nodular pinion support for the Ford, depending on power level and these can range from less than $200 to more than $1000. Again depends on what you WANT to spend.

So at THIS point, the Ford might be a couple hundred more than the Ford.........but to me personally, the drop out center and less weight make the Ford the no-brainer choice for me. Despite what some purists think, there is no law that says a Mopar MUST have a Dana.

Monte