Quote:

Quote:

You would NEVER consider putting a small pinion 8.75 out of an A-body in anything with power, same as you wouldn't put a low line stock 9" in anything with power.

Monte

Have you ever seen one these "small pinion shafts" break? I haven't, lots of ring gear teeth broke though. I chuckle when I read stuff like this. The smallest diameter is the splines and all are the same, 741, 742 or 489. Using the same spline count of course.

Not saying it's a better rear than a 9", it's not. The lack of the extra pinion bearing is the weakness just like any 8 3/4. Not the pinion shaft diameter.

I chuckle when I read some of this too, because SORRY, that's wrong. Why is it you think it breaks the teeth off the ring gear??? It's because the SMALL diameter pinion is not stiff enough to not flex when you hit it with power. It tries to climb the ring gear, which effects the mesh of the gears when it flexes and breaks teeth. THAT is THE weakness of the 8.75. The pinion shaft is too small and the case is also weak right there. The spline size is of zero importance. That is past the outer bearing surface. If the 8.75 had a nice beefy nodular case and a pinion stem the size of a Dana, we wouldn't be having this discussion.......... An Olds rear was VERY strong and did NOT have a support bearing either, but the pinion stem was huge and the case beefy in that area. To make a drop out rear live, it needs one of two things....either a massive pinion stem or a support bearing

Monte