Quote:

This is some really good information. I noticed you did not test the Joe Gibbs brand oil. I would really have been interested in that as I am currently using the HR series in my modified 440.

A couple of years ago, I was fortunate enough to attend a presentation put on by one of the reps from Joe Gibbs oil, Lake Speed Jr. It was a very good presentation highlighting the evolution of the car oil industry. The one comment I recall is the modern oils have too much detergent in them today for our older muscle cars. Even with the addition of the ZDDP product, there is nothing you can do to remove the high level of detergent. I, like most of you was looking into adding the ZDDP into my old cars but after this, I will only use something with the right combination of additives. For now, it happens to be Joe Gibbs oil. I have way too much invested in the modified motor to risk the oil side, even if it costs more.

Garth

What does "too much detergent" do to an old engine? I can see where adding a high detergent oil to a crusty, carboned-up old engine might be bad, but I wouldn't think most enthusiasts are running highly sludged old engines. Most will have been rebuilt sometime in the last 20 years, and are well maintained.

DynoDave
Walter P. Chrysler Club - Great Lakes Region
Member # 12304
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
https://wichargerguy.proboards.com/
1977 Chrysler Cordoba