Quote:

This is some really good information. I noticed you did not test the Joe Gibbs brand oil. I would really have been interested in that as I am currently using the HR series in my modified 440.

A couple of years ago, I was fortunate enough to attend a presentation put on by one of the reps from Joe Gibbs oil, Lake Speed Jr. It was a very good presentation highlighting the evolution of the car oil industry. The one comment I recall is the modern oils have too much detergent in them today for our older muscle cars. Even with the addition of the ZDDP product, there is nothing you can do to remove the high level of detergent. I, like most of you was looking into adding the ZDDP into my old cars but after this, I will only use something with the right combination of additives. For now, it happens to be Joe Gibbs oil. I have way too much invested in the modified motor to risk the oil side, even if it costs more.

Garth

We really should have tested Gibbs oil, but I didn't think about it until after we had bought all of our samples and set things up.

As far as using the Comp Cams break-in additive goes, the math is real simple. If you use 1 part Comp's additive (9548 ppm) and 9 parts Walmart's SuperTech (675 ppm), you end up with oil that's 1562 ppm ZDDP (that's 675*0.9 + 9548*0.1). Of course, there's more to oil that just ZDDP, so you might not want to use Walmart's oil (although I have a couple of times).

"When I'm in a slump, I comfort myself by saying if I believe in dinosaurs, then somewhere, they must be believing in me. And if they believe in me, then I can believe in me." - Mookie Wilson