But Cab, you never stated whether the battery was charging or discharging or whether you wanted Electron Flow or Conventional Current, which are both equally valid.

Add me to the list who use the floor pan as a ground circuit, and it's the biggest conductor in the car. Now, I'm NOT depending on the factory spot welds but have 2x3 frame connectors welded fully and then some. If your engine cranks over fine and you're having ground issues they're NOT in the crank circuit. It's best to keep every wire as short as possible and running miles of ground wires goes against that. Every device on my car is grounded as close as possible.

Keep in mind that the big cables are only necessary to crank the engine over. Once the engine is running the charging system supplies the power to run your equipment AND charge the battery. No charging system? Have fun in the bleachers while the rest of us race for the money. My positive cable I took out of another car 25 years ago and I'm pretty sure it has 7 strands. It's very stiff and probably half the weight of the typical welding cable used. Before anyone tells me it won't work I have years of time slips to show for it. Add one ground cable from the torsion bar crossmember to the starter stud and all is well.

Quote:

MrP, my point is that most people ASSUME current flows from the positive post to the negative post, which of course it doesn't! :...