Moparts

GROUND WIRE QUESTION....................

Posted By: Thumperdart

GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/19/13 08:36 PM

Finishing up my dash wireing and was curious if I should run a ground wire from the trunk batt directly to the bulkhead on the firewall or not and what size............thankxxx.
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/19/13 08:53 PM

If you only have the original sub-frames, I'd run a very heavy ground wire directly to the engine block. Plus tie in other heavy ground cables to the body (rear sub-frame directly from the battery) and from the engine to the K-frame and the front sub-frame. My brother is an electrical engineer and his favorite saying is "You can never have too many ground wires. Especially on a car."

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/19/13 08:57 PM

I have subframe connectors and everything else you mentioned was just thinking since my MSD grounds there I thaught it may help. Never had a problem just lookin to better my system.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/19/13 09:00 PM

for the dash wiring grounding I would run a number four directly to the dash or firewall, I would also run a #2 to the cylinder block and then run several #10 from the block to the sub frame in front and at least 1 #2 from the battery to the rear sub frame in the trunk

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/19/13 09:03 PM

Got that stuff covered Cab just thinking about a small wire from the batt directly to the stud on the firewall which the MSD and all of my other grounds go to..............Probably not needed I guess.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/19/13 09:10 PM

Quote:

Got that stuff covered Cab just thinking about a small wire from the batt directly to the stud on the firewall which the MSD and all of my other grounds go to..............Probably not needed I guess.

I ground everything back to the battery using lugs and a grounding block, See ground block in the lower left of the panel. (progress pic)

http://www.nmbuilder.com/Panel-o-stuff.jpg

I think your plan is a good one.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/19/13 09:38 PM

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/19/13 10:38 PM

I run the same size as the positive. the ground is just as important as the positive

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/19/13 10:59 PM

Quote:

I run the same size as the positive. the ground is just as important as the positive

Yep, when using the wire cage chart you have to include the length of the ground. My re-wire all started because I was having fuel pressure issues. Over the years of adding stuff I had more grounds than RWHP.

Cleaned it up and no problemo.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 12:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I ground everything back to the battery using lugs and a grounding block, See ground block in the lower left of the panel. (progress pic)

Wow looks good, need to do my car one of these years!

Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 12:21 AM

I ground each head to a bulkhead ground
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 12:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow looks good, need to do my car one of these years!

I have that same bank of relays in my Rampage... it
is a nice piece... it controls my head lights, fan,
water pump... being a tube chassis car I have a stud
welded to the chassis back near the battery and one
welded to it near the engine on the drivers side..
I ground the engine off of the engine mounting ear
and and have another stud inside on the knee loop
on the passenger side... that point is for all the
inside electrical stuff
Posted By: dvw

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 12:57 AM

No better ground than the frame. Bolt to your rear subframe. It's welded to frame connectors which are welded to the front frame rails. If you've got a problem with a ground then you've got worse things to think about. You won't find a ground to the front in a new Charger or Challenger that have the battery in the rear. Trust me, new cars have way more electrical issues to deal with than a simple car like what we both race. In case your wondering, I work in the Electrical lab at Chrysler Tech Center.
Doug

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 01:00 AM

Quote:

No better ground than the frame. Bolt to your rear subframe. It's welded to frame connectors which are welded to the front frame rails. If you've got a problem with a ground then you've got worse things to think about. You won't find a ground to the front in a new Charger or Challenger that have the battery in the rear. Trust me, new cars have way more electrical issues to deal with than a simple car like what we both race. In case your wondering, I work in the Electrical lab at Chrysler Tech Center.
Doug

sorry but thats absolutely not true.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 01:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

I'll take my tube chassis any day for a ground

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 01:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

ok,i'll keep running a good copper wire up front and use that there is a reason all the electronic device people tell you to do that I think.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 01:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

No better ground than the frame? We're talking cars/trucks with the battery in the back, MSD (or EQ) somewhere in the middle. Maybe in a stock situation where everything is under the hood the frame would work.

But I tried the frame, no thanks.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 02:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

ok,i'll keep running a good copper wire up front and use that there is a reason all the electronic device people tell you to do that I think.

I've been doing this for YEARS... the area of the tube
is more than sufficient plus amps make heat and the
tube is exposed without any insulation on it... the
old frame cars thats way different.. they have spot
welds holding the metal together... I dont

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 03:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

I'm willing to listen, why is a solid welded piece of tube steel a bad ground? I could understand it if you were using a stock spot welded 40 year old unibody. We run way more sensitive wiring in current vehicles, CAN Bus ETC.Chassis is the prefered ground.
Doug

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 03:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

No better ground than the frame? We're talking cars/trucks with the battery in the back, MSD (or EQ) somewhere in the middle. Maybe in a stock situation where everything is under the hood the frame would work.

But I tried the frame, no thanks.

New Chargers and Challengers do have the battery in the rear. How many computer modules do think each one has? The slightest interference drives them nuts. A good ground is absolutely necesary
Doug

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 05:11 AM

I have been trying to do a survey but I can't get it to work
My question is how many on here know which way the current flows out of a battery?
Please make your choice by making it either #1, current flows out of the battery from the positive post through the car to the negative post or #2 Current flows out of the battery from the negative post through the car back to the positive post
I'll look at this later tonight and again tomorrow morning and then post the correct answer tomorrow after the last responce

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 05:18 AM

Quote:

I have been trying to do a survey but I can't get it to work
My question is how many on here know which way the current flows out of a battery?
Please make your choice by making it either #1, current flows out of the battery from the positive post through the car to the negative post or #2 Current flows out of the battery from the negative post through the car back to the positive post
I'll look at this later tonight and again tomorrow morning and then post the correct answer tomorrow after the last responce

I already know.... whats that got to do with this?

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 05:25 AM

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 05:27 AM

Quote:

Doug

I know that most of the new cars I work on have several grounds through out the wiring and every so many feet also to help even more w/all of the on board electronics. I`ll run a #10 from the batt to bulkhed which the MSD is also directly grounded to which can`t hurt and I believe the MSD instructions suggest iirc.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 07:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

I know that most of the new cars I work on have several grounds through out the wiring and every so many feet also to help even more w/all of the on board electronics. I`ll run a #10 from the batt to bulkhed which the MSD is also directly grounded to which can`t hurt and I believe the MSD instructions suggest iirc.

correct MSD tells you to ground directly to the batt not the chassis. I had a long conversation with an MSD rep about this years ago.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 07:20 AM

Posted By: wildcargo

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 02:26 PM

- First off last on That should tell you. The first thing thay taught in auto shop
Posted By: dizuster

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 03:34 PM

Cab... are you asking which way CURRENT flows out of a battery, or which way ELECTRON's flow out of a a battery. They are equal but opposite in answer...

As for the ground disucsion... I think many people believe going through the chassis is a bad way to ground because they've had trouble with the interface between the wire and the chassis. Corroded wire to chassis will obviously cause an issue. But that is no fault of the chassis as a ground, that is just a poor connection (which can happen with direct wire also). The chassis ability to carry the ground is perfectly fine as long as you do a good job connecting the wire to the chassis.

If current won't flow through a welded steel part, you have some serious issues with the weld quality... lol

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 03:52 PM

correct MSD tells you to ground directly to the batt not the chassis. I had a long conversation with an MSD rep about this years ago.

Of course they say that... they dont want you to
say its a MSD problem when you might have a ground
issue if it doesnt work right... they could say make
sure it has a GOOD ground but they go the easy way
to insure its grounded... I havent run a separate wire
back to the battery ever just for the MSD(on a chassis car)...
but I'll continue to do it my way and you can do it yours
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 03:58 PM

Perhaps you could check your grounds with your dvom. I've always just grounded my B- to the frame. No probs ever.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 04:18 PM

It's too easy not to run a cable from the - side of the battery to a ground block and branch off of that...When a electical problem pops up I know it's not a bad/loose ground, I can see everyone of them and they are all labeled.

IMO electical gremlins are the hardest to chase down so I like to keep it easy.
Here's my finished panel. Fan and fuel pump relays are close to the source but still ground back to the battery.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/Adobedude43/Shifter1.jpg

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

It's too easy not to run a cable from the - side of the battery to a ground block and branch off of that...When a electical problem pops up I know it's not a bad/loose ground, I can see everyone of them and they are all labeled.

Here's my finished panel. Fan and fuel pump relays are close to the source but still ground back to the battery.

Yes its easy to do that... but when I was working
our goal was to to ALWAYS get weight down in a car...
and we always tried to get a bracket(or anything)
to do 2 or more jobs.. in other words you dont have
2 brackets doing 2 jobs instead of one... the chassis
is there... its now a wire also besides being a chassis

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

Cab... are you asking which way CURRENT flows out of a battery, or which way ELECTRON's flow out of a a battery. They are equal but opposite in answer...

As for the ground disucsion... I think many people believe going through the chassis is a bad way to ground because they've had trouble with the interface between the wire and the chassis. Corroded wire to chassis will obviously cause an issue. But that is no fault of the chassis as a ground, that is just a poor connection (which can happen with direct wire also). The chassis ability to carry the ground is perfectly fine as long as you do a good job connecting the wire to the chassis.

If current won't flow through a welded steel part, you have some serious issues with the weld quality... lol

ok will current flow through a piece of steel or a copper wire better?

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 04:53 PM

Question, how much current can you pass through a piece of 1 5/8" tubing?
Doug

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 04:57 PM

Quote:

Doug

I would say ALOT more than anything on a car can handle..
the starter is the biggest draw there is on a car
and that isnt a constant

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

I would say ALOT more than anything on a car can handle..
the starter is the biggest draw there is on a car
and that isnt a constant

Exactly
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 05:38 PM

I find all this to be a very interesting! You can never learn to much! But what I like best of all about it,no finger pointing,no name calling,just everyone stating what they believe & think is right!

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 05:58 PM

MrP, my point is that most people ASSUME current flows from the positive post to the negative post, which of course it doesn't! So they end up neglecting to ground the battery correctly. Direct current, DC, electron flow is like most liquids, it will take the easeist path back to the battery. Poor grounds will cause all kinds of problems, especially with solid state or semi conductor devices Hopefully my commenst will open some minds and eyes to the importance of good grounding
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 05:59 PM

Dom you can add a lot of weight if you want

I would use a Chassis ground at the rear to something of mass (roll bar or frame). With short ground jumpers from the trans case to cross member and head to frame/firewall if the engine is rubber mounted.
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 06:15 PM

And current flow around the conductor not thru the wire. If the metal was silver or tin it will flow better than copper.

D

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 06:16 PM

You guys are killin me......... Just when I thaught this would be a simple "yes or no" question............nope, not on Moparts.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 06:21 PM

well when you ask a question you always want different points of view. this is one of those situations that both ways obviously works to some extent. on a race car I lean to the side of precaution because sometimes there is money on the line. in your situation Dom you may get away with and save some weight (a few pounds)you make the call.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 06:30 PM

I hear ya.............I`ll finish up the dash wiring, do some ground checks and go from there..........

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 06:37 PM

Using the frame as a ground (to bare metal) I had issues with starting, charging, fuel pressure...I could lower my fuel pressure by simply turning on the fan. I ran all my grounds back to the battery, problem solved. Granted I have an extra 6' length of welding cable but at least it runs now. And as said, the PCM throws a fit if doesn't get enough power.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

Using the frame as a ground (to bare metal) I had issues with starting, charging, fuel pressure...I could lower my fuel pressure by simply turning on the fan. I ran all my grounds back to the battery, problem solved. Granted I have an extra 6' length of welding cable but at least it runs now. And as said, the PCM throws a fit if doesn't get enough power.

seen that more than once
Posted By: goldenlancer

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/20/13 08:28 PM

my spark plugs were burning black leaned out to a point to where it wouldn't run right then bumped my head and said it needed grounded from the batteries to the motor lots of problems fixed all at one time charging, ing. and fuel ran a #1/0 wire to the motor and grounded everything off the motor . i thought I had a good ground when I welded a bolt to the cage which is grounded to the body and sub frame The aluminum front motor mount to the motor (I thought would be enough (not) lessons learned

Attached picture 7554577-0523101213a.jpg

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/21/13 01:12 AM

I welded a bolt to the cage which is grounded to the body and sub frame The aluminum front motor mount to the motor (I thought would be enough (not) lessons learned

In all cases no one has said that the start of they're ground point was one continuous welded part. IF your ground path through the chassis is not one welded loop I would agree there could be a problem. There is no way that there is resistance in a properly welded cage/subframe assembly. If there is you have a much larger problem. If you would like to add the cost and weight of an additional ground, by all means go ahead. I troubleshoot prototype vehicle wiring for a living. I believe in my methods. They are problem free for me. Just my 2 cents.
Doug
Posted By: Leon441

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/21/13 02:14 AM

I am hearing a lot of rules about electricity that are misused. Sounds like a few to many conversations at the bar.

It doesn't matter which way the current flow is. Cut your + or - cable and insert an ampmeter. The current is the same anywhere in that series circuit. So yes running a 2 gauge + with a 4 gauge - leaves you with a 4 gauge circuit.

We run very low voltage high current stuff at work. If I told you some simple rail circuits and how they worked you would say no way. I'm telling you WAY.

A mild steel car with good welds will carry electricity just fine as long as the connections are good. But, usually they are not. Flat washers don't penectrate and make a good connection. I cut and fix old junk all the time. There are a lot of welds that will not carry electricity well. Don't know how the car stayed together either. CHROME MOLY has trouble carrying electricity. It has carbon in it just like resisters.

My recommendation is run a #4 welding cable from the battery to the engine. Then go from that to a bulkhead. From bulkhead to the body and chassis in as many ways as possible. Use grounding washers otherwise you are pissing in the wind. I have a grounding lug on my chrome moly cage. It is just a conveneint connection point.

If you have concerns about how well a peice of tubing or any steel can carry electricity use an ohm meter and check it. For a better test. Take a 55watt headlight and run copper wires to it from your battery fully charged. Take a current reading. Then unhook the negative wire and hook to your chassis. Take another current reading. If the current is the same and the battery voltage was the same. Guess what, your car is fully capable of carrying electricity.

If you want to run big ground cables and ground busses with plenty of bonding wires it will not hurt a thing. Grounds are good. Better to be well grounded than not. There are many cars with limited grounds that do just fine. The more electronics you have the more you need good grounds.

Leon
22 years of Signal Maintaining and Signal Electronic Specialist Norfolk Southern Corp.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/21/13 02:56 AM

Good info, thankxxx...........
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/21/13 03:31 AM

But Cab, you never stated whether the battery was charging or discharging or whether you wanted Electron Flow or Conventional Current, which are both equally valid.

Add me to the list who use the floor pan as a ground circuit, and it's the biggest conductor in the car. Now, I'm NOT depending on the factory spot welds but have 2x3 frame connectors welded fully and then some. If your engine cranks over fine and you're having ground issues they're NOT in the crank circuit. It's best to keep every wire as short as possible and running miles of ground wires goes against that. Every device on my car is grounded as close as possible.

Keep in mind that the big cables are only necessary to crank the engine over. Once the engine is running the charging system supplies the power to run your equipment AND charge the battery. No charging system? Have fun in the bleachers while the rest of us race for the money. My positive cable I took out of another car 25 years ago and I'm pretty sure it has 7 strands. It's very stiff and probably half the weight of the typical welding cable used. Before anyone tells me it won't work I have years of time slips to show for it. Add one ground cable from the torsion bar crossmember to the starter stud and all is well.

Quote:

MrP, my point is that most people ASSUME current flows from the positive post to the negative post, which of course it doesn't! :...

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/21/13 05:13 AM

Add one ground cable from the torsion bar crossmember to the starter stud and all is well.

Mine is torsion bar crossmember to trans. Eliminates water pump,motor plate, and block. 1 gauge, 6" long
Doug
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/21/13 06:40 AM

I have been driving around on the street for 10+ years with a battery in the trunk and the negative cable is bolted to a stud on the rear frame rail. The electrical system in my car works flawlessly. Electric fan, MSD 7AL2, lights, etc. Clean grounds with some type of anti-corrosion good will give you years of service.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/22/13 01:33 AM

For what it's worth I did a voltage drop test today. I turned on both fans and measured the drop on both the positive side and the ground side. The positive side was higher than I would have liked at 1.32 volts. My fan relay feed is wired directly to my alternator stud. There is only a #8 to the battery for the alternator so this may require a rework. However this was with the car not running. Anyway the ground side which consists of 6" #1 cable from battery to cage, 6" #1 from the torsion bar crossmember, transmission bolted to the engine, engine bolted to the motor plate, ground for the fan at the plate. The ground side voltage drop was .03 volts. Though not completely scientific it show the ground side to be more than adequate for a fairly strong amp draw. I didn't have an amp meter handy to measure but I would guess 25 amps + for the pair.
Doug
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/22/13 03:48 AM

I am a Spaghetti Menders dealer/installer and I firmly believe in Bob Lapp's "floating ground" system. Does it add some weight? yes, but I will take the piece of mind of a properly operating electrical system vs. a few pounds.

Here is some info from the Spaghetti Menders website, please excuse the way it is written. He tried to use some humor by using his dog Noodles as the author.

"Hi my name is Noodles I'm the inventors helper - I do all the leg work. My job this week is to let you know that all the electricity used in your car needs wires to get from the battery to all the devices you operate.

But the wires are just one of many things that need to be rated for the devise you will be operating. You will have a switch for turn on and off the devise. A fuse is for protecting the wire from damaging your car if the load is higher then the switch or wire can handle. Some times a relay is used if the load is higher then the fuse or switch can operate.

So now that you are confused I can shed some fleas on the problem, The biggest thing I see is that the ground is not installed right, yes the ground wire that hooks to the car frame. When cars where first made in the 1920 they used the car body as ground to save money on wire and half the labor to install (1 wire) for each device, Now it's 2005 and you wired your race car that way and your fuel pump and fans don't work right and you keep burning up switches and blowing fuses and you can't find any shorted wires but it keeps on doing it and you lose the race.

Back to the wires when power from the battery go's to the switch then to the device you turn on ( fuel pump - fan etc. ) it has to get back to the battery ground to make it work, but if you put anything in the path that is not able to handle the load before or after it you can make the fuse blow. Yes I barked at you about bad grounds can blow a fuses. All the power needed to operate your fuel pump and fan has to start at the battery and end at the battery so anything that slows down the power will give you an itch you can't scratch. So the best way not to have problems is to make sure you have the shortest path from battery to the fuel pump and back to the battery that's where relays come in they are remote switches it's by your pump and needs a small amount current (the power that makes things work) to operate and can switch high current like fuel pumps and fans.

So now we have the shortest route from battery to fuse to relay to pump back to battery with wire sized for the current draw of your pump. The best way to size your wire is to go one size bigger than they supplied under 6 feet,Two sizes bigger over 6 feet. The fuse is there to keep high current draw like a shorted wire that rubbed through on sharp piece metal or your pump that shorted out from heat. That's the only need for a fuse to stop the fire when the wire gets to hot from to much current. Now the switch that's mounted by the dash only has to power the relay at 1/4 of a amp draw less then a small light bulb that means very small wires and switches can operate fuel pumps and fans.

Now back to grounds if the power goes through a wire to your pump it has to go through the ground wire to the battery not the car frame, rust that you can't see and steel is not as good a wire as copper. Now this wags my tale, if you have copper wire on your fuel pumps power supply and you hook the ground to the frame what ever is lost in going through steel is felt in the pump because it's like a hose if you stand on one end, the water only flows the amount that get by your foot. So no matter where you put your foot the flow slows down. It's the same with wiring your car, if you slow it down by using steel as your ground, it makes it harder to operate and can blow the fuse and not having a shorted wire, you can slow down your pump making it work hotter and then burn up."

Attached picture 7556565-BatteryCable.jpg

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/22/13 05:22 PM

Quote:

Here is some info from the Spaghetti Menders website, please excuse the way it is written. He tried to use some humor by using his dog Noodles as the author.

I read through that and am unimpressed as he's written some of the same faulty logic that can be found in this very thread.
All current passes through the battery ONLY if you have no charging system.
The car chassis can be a good conductor without being made of copper simply because it has an extremely large area compared to ANY wires in the car.

Keep in mind that cars have been designed using chassis grounds forever. The only exceptions that I can think of are computer sensors that have a ground wire back to the computer. This is necessary because the computer is modulating engine timing and fuel mixtures based on subtle (very small) voltage changes from the sensors. You can't do this if the sensor readings change every time you turn on the blower, headlights, brake lights, etc.

CW

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/22/13 07:53 PM

Speaking of computers, let me throw in the term "Peremeter ground" Anybody know what that means?
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/23/13 01:28 AM

Quote:

Speaking of computers, let me throw in the term "Peremeter ground" Anybody know what that means?

Ok I bite what is that ?

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/23/13 01:45 AM

Quote:

For lightning, yes.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/23/13 02:01 AM

Isn't that Perimeter Ground? Used to prevent static and surge damage.

Spegetti Menders must not understand E equals I times R. I am sure that is not the case but when reading this that is the conclusion most EE's would come up with.

A high resistance circuit does not blow fuses. It actually limits current. Take 10 volts to make the math easy. 10 divided by 10 ohms (9 ohms load or appliance plus 1 ohm for your copper feed and ground) That is 1 Amp. Now take 20 ohms. (9 ohms load or appliance and .5 ohms for your copper feed wire and 10.5 ohms in your old Mopar chassis) That's 1/2 Amp.

Spagetti menders knows copper grounds are better they just don't seem to state why correctly for every type of load or appliance. A bad ground does not blow switches and fuses necessarily. A light bulb will only light based on the voltage at the light bulb. An electric motor or anything with inductance on the other hand will act much differently. MIke brought up spagetti menders and they do have some really nice stuff but all auto electronic providers recommend good grounds for the same reason. I hope not to bore you guys to death with what follows that should help explain.

Without getting into mho or J factors and get everyone including myslef thoroughly confused a good ground is never a bad thing. If everything is done correctly a chassis ground works. Star washers, clean welds, and good steel. Sorry anyone who has ever tig welded on Mopars knows the metal is a little funky. So if you run good ground wires from engine to battery you are not wasting any weight or money. And to all your equipment especially including relays and the MSD.

Why would a bad ground burn up switches, fuses, and appliances? A bad ground is never just a bad ground. It comes and goes. So back to resistance in the circuit. When it comes and goes so does the current flow. Well some appliances are very demanding like a spinning fan. Start making and breaking the circuit like a bad kid with your light switch in your home and something is going to give. Your home has at least a 15 AMP breaker so the switch and bulb is usually first to go. On a car the trouble is much harder to find.

Industry leaders are just trying to save you a lot of trouble and recomend running grounds to elliminate these failed circuit possibilities and phone calls trying to find bad circuits in your car.

Race car wiring has come a long way. I know service trucks use the frame for a ground and there is always something malfunctioning and it is 90% of the time ground related. So I am not going to criticize anyone for running grounds on a race car. Just their reasoning. LOL

Leon

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/23/13 02:13 AM

I know service trucks use the frame for a ground and there is always something malfunctioning and it is 90% of the time ground related. So I am not going to criticize anyone for running grounds on a race car. Just their reasoning. LOL

Leon

Big trucks the frame is rivided together which under
stress/load and time come loose creating a bad ground
joint so yes thats not good
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/23/13 02:30 AM

Quote:

I know service trucks use the frame for a ground and there is always something malfunctioning and it is 90% of the time ground related. So I am not going to criticize anyone for running grounds on a race car. Just their reasoning. LOL

Leon

Don't forget all the fiberglass/aluminum cab, fenders, bunks, etc. I imagine that is more of the problem than the riVited frame.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/23/13 02:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Leon

Don't forget all the fiberglass/aluminum cab, fenders, bunks, etc. I imagine that is more of the problem than the riVited frame.

Well you know damn well they dont ground to the fiberglass
and they dont like the alum either... specially that
the body is basically floating on the chassis...
they do have jumper grounds going to the chassis

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/23/13 04:36 AM

Did some aditional testing tonight. .9 volt of my 1.3 volt drop is through the secondary contacts in the master on/off switch that control the alternator circuit. I'm not to happy with that on a brand new switch. I also brought my amp clamp home to test draw.
Fans together 29A
Performance Engineering fuel pump 18A
Miezere water pump 7.5A
headlamps,tail,dash 12.5A
Doug
Posted By: Scott58

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/23/13 01:48 PM

What kind of switch is it? Sounds like the secondary contacts are undersized for the current.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/24/13 12:22 AM

Longacre PN#45780 175 amp continuous, 1000 amp peak. However I didn't realize the secondary contacts are only rated at 20 amps. I will rewire the 8 gauge alternator feed to run a relay in line for the alternator output. Then feed the alternator output to the firewall bulkhead. Lesson learned, read the paperwork.
Doug
Posted By: emarine01

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/24/13 04:19 AM

I thought the secondary contacts were used to brake the field circuit?

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/25/13 02:04 AM

Quote:

I thought the secondary contacts were used to brake the field circuit?

They will be now. I only have a one wire alternator so I couldn't break the field.
Doug
Posted By: Scott58

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/25/13 06:22 AM

You might consider the Longacre 45782. Secondary contacts rated at 125A.

Scott

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/25/13 05:28 PM

Quote:

Leon

My Ford F550 bucket truck has a lot of electrical gremlins with the lights in the utility body. The guy who designs and wires at the upfitter is really up on his game. Old communications guy for GE. But, he uses the same junk relays these high dollar wiring systems do. AND WHEN THEY FAIL WE ARE STUCK 40 FT IN THE AIR. When are people going to understand most of these bosch style relays are junk. The best ones are in junk yard on factory fuse panels. I saw one wiring setup that I thought was the bomb until I noticed the 10 AMP relays. We have want a bee electrical engineers making these systems and selling them. They look cool and neat but, are full of gremlins. TIME WILL SHOW THIS. ARC stuff is pretty cheap and nothing trick about it and all the 14 gauge wire but it has lasted about 15 years in my car. Everybody was on the Painless bandwagon, just watch a mud truck shake all the fuses out in the floor and quit in the middle of a hole. I am despirately looking for something nice to replace this outdated ugly stuff. But, until I find something that I feel will last I will keep what I have.

When you build a car and it is still 400 lbs over weight for the class you limit weight by running grounds to the chassis. I later ran a bus system from the battery to the block and electronics. It has made no difference whatsoever. But, I know how to properly bond something. OH lets use easy terms ground something.

Leon

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/26/13 01:44 AM

Quote:

Scott

I did look at that. I'm going to run a solenoid at the alternator output and use my 2.0 feed from the battery to charge. If that has voltage drop I'm in trouble.
Doug

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/26/13 03:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

I did look at that. I'm going to run a solenoid at the alternator output and use my 2.0 feed from the battery to charge. If that has voltage drop I'm in trouble.
Doug

I know it has been done this way and some people get away with it but there is a potential drawback. The alternator is a HIGHLY inductive circuit and if you just disconnect the output with a solenoid or any other means you can get potentially VERY high voltage spikes. This is also a potential problem with just about any other method that doesn't connect the alternator output to the battery side of the master kill switch. Even the field circuit can generate spikes if there isn't enough electrical load on the same circuit. In the OE configuration the alternator output is always connected to the battery and the field circuit shares a power feed with the ignition and some other loads. Also, the electronic regulators may provide a 'soft-landing' for the field current when the power is turned off.

On my track car I have a field circuit switch in reach of the drivers seat and I turn it off if a tech inspector wants to test my kill switch. The kill switch will work either way but this way the alternator doesn't need to find an alternate circuit for all that stored energy in the magnetic field.

Way back when I killed my memory tach with voltage spikes. The only items on the circuit were the alternator field power, voltage regulator, tachometer and some tiny gauge lights. The gauge lights would flash brightly if I killed the engine with the second master switch I have near the drivers seat. I've since redesigned the power feeds so there's more devices on the alternator field opwer and regulator circuit and I never kill the engine with either master switch, always using the ignition switch that shuts off the MSD box.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/26/13 03:10 AM

Lots of of great info here............. Learning bits here and there since my wiring skills aren`t the best and I`m finishing up a week long wiring journey but the end results are alreadyi there as in brighter lights and less voltage drop at the battery.

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 01/26/13 03:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

Doug

I know it has been done this way and some people get away with it but there is a potential drawback. The alternator is a HIGHLY inductive circuit and if you just disconnect the output with a solenoid or any other means you can get potentially VERY high voltage spikes. This is also a potential problem with just about any other method that doesn't connect the alternator output to the battery side of the master kill switch. Even the field circuit can generate spikes if there isn't enough electrical load on the same circuit. In the OE configuration the alternator output is always connected to the battery and the field circuit shares a power feed with the ignition and some other loads. Also, the electronic regulators may provide a 'soft-landing' for the field current when the power is turned off.

On my track car I have a field circuit switch in reach of the drivers seat and I turn it off if a tech inspector wants to test my kill switch. The kill switch will work either way but this way the alternator doesn't need to find an alternate circuit for all that stored energy in the magnetic field.

Way back when I killed my memory tach with voltage spikes. The only items on the circuit were the alternator field power, voltage regulator, tachometer and some tiny gauge lights. The gauge lights would flash brightly if I killed the engine with the second master switch I have near the drivers seat. I've since redesigned the power feeds so there's more devices on the alternator field opwer and regulator circuit and I never kill the engine with either master switch, always using the ignition switch that shuts off the MSD box.

The solenoid will be wired with the master switch. Therefore it will be energized before starting and after the engine is shut off, no spikes.
Doug

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION..update.................. - 02/04/13 02:51 AM

As I posted before my ground circuit showed minimal voltage drop from the battery post through the cage to the fan connector. The positive side was not good and showed 1.35 volt loss. Being the pair of fans draw almost 30 amps improvement needed to be made. After rerouting the alternator output through a relay instead of the master switch the loss now sits at .2 volt from battery terminal to fan motor connector. Just a heads up that the grounds aren't always the culprit. All connections that I just replaced were brand new.
Doug
Posted By: Crizila

Re: GROUND WIRE QUESTION.................... - 02/04/13 03:20 AM

Quote:

Beautiful work!
© 2024 Moparts Forums