Quote:

I was pretty interested in your heating concerns with the Cuda. Especially about how removing the thermostat seemed to cool her down. I've got a 525 hemi in a 68 GTX that seems to be pushing the envelope too. I had the original 2 row radiator rebuilt with a high efficiency 3 row core. A napa jaguar fan clutch, and 160 degree thermostat. It's never boiled or steamed but the gauge will get 2/3 to 3/4 of the way over (Never out of the normal range but close.) and once it gets up there it doesn't wanna come down. I don't like seeing it run that warm. If you guys think removing the thermostat is a good idea I may try it!

well, normally, i would NOT recommend it, but, as i was shown with my car, it actually liked not having one. now with that being said, i am not sure how she will behave when it is colder out. it gets pretty cool here up in the northwest, so i will let her ride this way for now. this winter, i will find out if it can handle it, if i don't experiment before then.....

i think it may just come down to poor flow with the factory style water pump/blades, with the extra demand from the more built motors. i too have a killer four core 22" radiator, and the more water i got through it, (no thermostat), the more the engine liked it.

that being said, i did pick up a new water pump from a company called flowkooler, it has cnc'd blades, supposed to up the ante with water flow. part number 1679 i believe. i thought maybe with that pump, and a high flow thermostat, i might be ok if i need to run one someday. but, i haven't had the heart to take her apart yet, it's summer weather here, (which is short!) and she's runnin' real nice!

if i were you, i would go pick up a couple of gaskets, take that thermostat out, and give it a try! also, my engine builder said he runs all of his hemi motors without one, but he lives in florida. also, he said if i did run one, to run the high flow mr gasket version, which i was.

hope some of this real world feedback helps you!

D