In my opinion it was no fluke, alot of the diesel guys run hydraulic fluid in there transmissions, i believe the most popular is the john deere hygard. I guess i will use regular dexron/merconIII. with a shift kit the dexron should be ok, and since it has better lubricating ability over type f and its what my builder said to run then i will run it, i was just wanting to run type f for some firmer shifts is all and its a little cheaper, but i used dexron/merconIII in the 727 that was in my 76 dodge powerwagon and i never had any problems with that transmission. When i first got that 76 the 318 that was in was worn out and tired, burned oil had no power no compression. So i figured the transmission was probly a little tired as well, when i first got it i flushed all the fluid out of it changed the filter and put new dexron/merconIII in it along with a bottle of lucas transmission fix and i never had any problems with that transmission, i serviced it once a year and it ran untill the day i rolled the truck, never once had a transmission issue with it and i was running dexron/merconIII so it cant be that bad of a fluid.