I have noticed alot of people saying that the dexron/merconIII will be non excistent here pretty soon and that the only dexron there will be is dexronVI, would dexronVi be a good idea to run in my non lock up A-518? i asked my transmission builder about running dexronVi and he said oh no dont run dexronVi thats a synthetic, lhe said it like synthetic is a bad thing, kind of like oh no dont eat raw chicken that will give ya salmonella poisoning lol.
I do respect the opinions of the people on this fourm, this is just a confusing topic, some people say ya type f is an old fluid that still works great, some people say oh no type f dont have the lubricating ability and that i should run dexronIII, and some people say you should run a synthetic, see what i mean? there are so many different opinions as to what fluid you can run in this transmission that its hard to decide on wich fluid would be the best for the transmission, they all advantages and disadvantages, again it comes to wieghing the pro's and the con's to each fluid.
I am curious to know what you guys would think of trying the new dexronVi, even tho its a synthetic, (wich my builder advised against and i do not know why??) it says that dexronVi can be used in anything calling for the previous dexronIII spec. i learned today that dexronIII didnt even come out untill 1993, thats when gm introduced dexronIII, my truck is a 1991 dodge with the non lock up A-518, so factory fill in my transmission im assuming was dexronII.
Someone mentioned reading my dipstick and using what my dip stick says, my dip stick is not the factory dip stick, thew transmission shop who re-built my transmission gave me a new dip stick and dip stick tube, theu moved the tube behind the engine to get the dip stick tube away from headers and gave me a new dip stick that does not list what fluid to use, it just says check while hot and idleing in nuetral and shows me the full and low mark on the dip stick.
I dont see why dexronVi wouldnt work in my transmission, if dexronII was factory fill in my transmission, and two years later dexronIII replaces dexronIII and then dexronVi rplaces dexronIII and says its ok to use in anything calling for the older dexronIII spec. what do you guys think on the dexronVi? or if im going to go synthetic should i run the valvoline max life atf, it is also synthetic? i can still get dexron/mercon atf, but i have heard that it is not going to be around too much longer and that dexronVi is replacing it. just like +4 replaced the +3.