I am continuing my quest to document as many original 340 engine details as I can. I am starting with 70-71 engines and will work on other years as the opportunities present themselves. This thread pertains to documenting known original parts that are from the same engine, correct casting numbers, part numbers, date codes, etc. I have been studying and recording as many as I can before the most original examples are no longer around for reference due to restoration or replacement parts,etc. The most complete/survivor cars offer the most complete and most accurate information but those cars are exceedingly rare so I've been breaking it down to sections (engine/trans/rear end, etc.) in hopes of gathering more good detail and date code info.

Below are the known original parts found on one particular 340 engine I recently aquired as a complete and mostly unmolested original engine parts package, I have photos of all details mentioned and others as well. I have a second even more complete example I'll be documenting and posting on as well in the next few days.

If any of you wish to duplicate my efforts by submitting similar info. of your cars/engine/trans/rear details and wish to add it to my data base I would welcome it. Please feel free to contact me, I'll help you out if you need it. I will keep your cars/parts info private if you so desire.

Thanks!

Known Original Car History Info: 1971 Dodge Challenger, 340 Automatic, A/C, and Power Steering. Low mile original car involved in a bad accident, off road and in storage for many years. Car reported to have been parted out in Virginia near Roanoke.

Block Cast Date:
7/2/1970

Block Assembly Information Stamping:
GW340P3350029

Block VIN Sequence Stamping:
1B166168

Intake Manifold Casting Date:
6/19/70

Water Neck:
Casting Number 2780 970

Original Engine Paint Color:
Orange

Oil Pan Design:
Stamped "294" without welded in pan rail stiffening tabs

Valve covers:
Large/Tall Passenger Side Wire Loom Style
Drivers Side Upright Wire Loom Stand Located In The Forward Location (As Opposed To The Rearward Position Common To AAR/TA Engines)
No Paint On Wire Loom Plastic Insulators
Engine Paint On All Rubber Grommets
Engine Paint On PCV Valve
Engine Paint on Oil Fill Cap
Gaskets Black Rubber With Engine Paint On Tabs

Exhaust Manifold Casting Dates:
PN 3418621-1 Dated 9-14-70
PN 3418623 Dated 9-10-70

Carburetor:
Thermo-Quad 4973s
Stamped Date J0
3 Piece Gasket set, Asbestos, Aluminum Spacer, Asbestos