Quote:

"Question #1 - any reason for those pistons?
Q #2 - Why not get the full stroker kit with pistons from 440 source?
Q #3 - Why 4.15" stroke? You could go 4.25" stroke with 7.1" rods and still have internal oiling? or 4.375" stroke with external oiling, and the kits are all the same cost?"

1 - The 440 Source kit pistons are 2618 aluminum. The local engine builder guy said that 4032 would be better - less slap on start-up and would be better for longevity than the 2618's because 4032 expands less so the piston clearances can be a bit tighter - and my combo won't be taxing the 4032 pistons anyway. I won't be running nitrous or supercharging or anything.

2&3 - I may go the 4.25 way. You're right, the cost is the same - its free cubic inches.

However:

1 Are the pistons that work with the 4.25/7.1 combo going to present any issues with a car that won't be trailered? They've got a 1.485 compression distance and I'm not sure how long the skirts are. Does anyone else have a similar setup? Is this pushing it too much on the side loads on the cylinders? Is this even an issue?

2 The chart on 440Source's website says that the 4.25 crank, 7.1 rods, .30 over and -4cc flat top pistons works out to 11.2:1 compression. Is this to high for the aluminum heads on pump gas? I'd like to keep the compression as high as possible. Flat top pistons are supposed to have better combustion and flow charastics compared to dome/dished pistons - less obstacles for the flame front to overcome and the intake/exhaust gases to flow around - at least thats what all the books I've read say...

Quote:

Head and related questions:
"The Answer depends on how much power you want to make and how much $$$$ you want to spend.
The Performer head are more of a replacement performance head that will work with stock style rocker arms, and intake manifolds. They cam make 500+ HP out of the box, and can be ported for even more power.
The Victor heads are good if you want to make over 600 HP, but require special offset rocker arms adding to the cost, and would be a better choice if running a solid roller cam and 1,000+ cfm induction. The standard port size Victor uses a 0.600" offset intake rocker and I think the most afforadable set is from Hughes Engines @ $600/set and they are on backorder.
The Victor Max Wedge port heads use a 0.725" or more offset intake rocker arm set, and T&D makes them for about $1,000, and pushrod clearance is very tight. I think the Indy 0.800" offset rockers from Harlan Sharpe would also work, but they are also $1,000+.
With the MaxWedge size heads you need a matching size intake manifold too."

I think I am going to go with the Edelbrock Performer heads - just bolt them on and go, or maybe a little bowl clean-up and backcut the valves. I'm not building a pro stock engine, lol and don't want to have to screw around with the offset rockers and the greater overall height of the Victors (stock hood) and anything else that I may not think of - $$$ it gets expensive fast too. My budget for this engine build is around $6k.

Quote:

"The cam is 252/260 @ 0.050".
With a 500" stroker it will be decent street/strip profile. If car is mostly street a smaller cam may be easier to live with (but not as much fun.) With the Flat tappets you will have to run race motor oil with good high pressure additives to keep from wiping out the lobes.
I would use the three bolt timing setup, over the single bolt. "

What oil/additives do you suggest?

Thanks to everyone for the info on the manifold. I didn't know it was so crappy, lol. I'll have to look into a spread bore single plane or maybe a Holley carb and the RPM manifold.