Quote:

The blasting job is finished. I requested that the thinnest sheet metal remain painted. I mainly wanted to expose problem areas and areas that are a pain to use a DA sander on. Also my body & paint man was afraid that an inexperienced blaster operator might damage the thinner sheet metal areas.

This car is nearly rust free, it's quite amazing. But given it's history (not driven much) it makes sense. The last picture shows the biggest rust damaged area on the car. There's a couple other areas, but they're even smaller than this.

Being that the car was a race car there were several little modifications that are plain to see. First you'll notice all the gold colored brazing on the underside of the car. When I fist noticed this (months ago) I thought there were some possible panel replacements, but I don't think so. After seeing the other small modifications that were completed to stiffen the car, it became apparent that at some point all the body seems has been tacked up in an effort to strengthen up the car. Also there are no indications that any of sheet metal / floors had ever been removed. If you look near the rear seat area inside the car, you'll see a reinforcement modification that was completed...effective? not sure. I'm also not sure if it will interfere with the factory rear seat...looks like it might. There are a few other interesting modifications that I'll need to reverse, roll cage etc, but for the most part it's an incredibly solid car.

pics:

My plan is currently to have all the metal work completed on the car and have the engine bay, underside, door jams, and trunk painted factory Plymouth Ralley Green. Then take the car back home and install brake lines, fuel lines, gas tank, and install the new / rebuilt front and rear suspension. Once its a roller again, then it will go back to the shop for the final body work and paint job. Any thoughts about my plans? Suggestions are appreciated.

-dan

Do yourself and paint the whole car at the same time. Its not worth mismatched jambs, engine bay, overspray on the suspension and all the other headaches associated with painting a roller. Trust me.