Quote:

Quote:

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not casting aspersions on you but, judging from the way you asked your questions, my feeling is that you're way over your head in a project like that. I think the idea is cool and would love to see something done like that if done well. I just can't see it as a garage project. Regardless, WTH, if you got the ambition and skills, go for it.
FWIW, I can't see anyone w/o connections scoring a Viper drivetrain for 1/2 the price of a new gen HEMI. A Hemi out of a low mileage truck are around 1500 bucks around here.

No hard feelings man. Once I get going with even the smallest idea in my mind, I elaborate on it for a month.

I know just a tad about these swaps... I don't mean this to be rude, but with the basic questions your asking about minor modifications to the car, your going to be way way way over your head when it comes to custom fabricating a front subframe, firewall, crossmembers, custom efi harness, and don't forget the computer programming. I'm a mechanical engineer who also spent 3 years working as a racecar fabricator previously and I'm 2 years into this project. Granted thats largely about time and money, but still its not easy. My best advice would be to get the car going with a traditional drivetrain like a 360 or modern hemi or whatever and build up your skillsets before you jump into something like this.

Actually the real question is where are you going to school? If you are studying mechanical engineering and want to be able to tackle major projects like this in the future I would strongly recommend finding out if your school has a Formula SAE program. It is by far the best training you can get for this sort of stuff and will pay dividends throughout your engineering career as well.

-Jon

6357626-dumbidea.jpg (1287 downloads)

70 challenger convertible. 340/5 speed. blown, intercooled, efi, blah blah blah 71 valiant scamp 318/A833OD/AC/PS 00 dakota RC 4.7L 5 spd autoX'r. SRT10/T56 swap in process 73 W200 Power wagon, PTO winch, 4 spd