it is an original 4 speed cuda. it was a 340 4 speed and now 383 4 speed the crank had a original pilot in the crank and the new pilot went it ok i did need to press it in. i put the pilot in the freezer overnite before installing.. ive been working on it all day now and found that the new pilot shrunk the i.d. went it went in. also after measuring and remeasuring it seemed the shaft was bottoming out in the crank and there was some evidence of that on the end of the shaft where it was flat and the metal curved up very slightly. i took a new pilot bushing and slid it on the shaft and it fit loosely. then found a dowel that fit that pilot the same way as the shaft then tried to fit the dowel into the pilot installed in the crank and it was super tight. i then cut the shaft to acccomadate the crank. i ground the shaft where it was fatter at the end where it was past the bushing when installed. i used emery cloth on the shaft and bushing. now the dowel fits the installed bushing nicely. im having lunch and ill be stabbing the trans this afternoon. ill let all you helpful guys know what happens when i gitterdone . i thank all of you for your input!